Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Torque Wrenches 2.0

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
I went all out on torque wrenches. Snap-on 1/2 in. and a Snap-on 3/8 in. electronic. Magic things, you can set the head offset for crows feet or if you have a fastener in a hard to reach spot, add an extention spanner to them.

I got a Repco "click" beam for wheel nuts and leave the Snap-on for the precision stuff.

All this plastic to aluminium crap in cars these days, ya can't just "nip" it up and she'll be right anymore. It'll either leak if not tight enough or break/crush at operating temp if too tight.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I've got 1/2"
I've got 3/8" (most used item)
And I have 1/4"

Also have a simple 1/2" deflecting beam that I mostly use for wheel nuts and less precise precision stuff (if that makes sense)

I'll come back and fill in brands and ranges later....
Update:
1/2" summit racing equipment
3/8" performance tool
1/4" Toledo

Deflecting 1/2" dunno, but made in Taiwan.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Ive tried explaining to people at work that you should turn the tension back to the lowest when not using it.
Even though we only have 1 tension value to go to as a standard.
They look at me like I'm some sort of idiot for suggesting this, or complain that when they find it not already at the setting that its stupid.

Am i in the wrong here or are they all too stubborn and have no mechanical idea?
It effects the calibration over time yeah?

*All my own personal ones i return to the lowest settings when not in use.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Ive tried explaining to people at work that you should turn the tension back to the lowest when not using it.
They look at me like I'm some sort of idiot for suggesting this, or complain that when they find it not already at the setting that its stupid.

Am i in the wrong here or are they all too stubborn and have no mechanical idea?

Mine is always at the lowest setting when I'm finished with it.....So that makes 2 of us wrong if that is the case

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

I read the same somewhere so I do that, it only takes a few seconds more at the end of a job.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6

Young bloke also mentioned that should be done.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
At work we had torque wrenches on each press set for the correct torque for a specific job and were never adjusted. Funny thing was, one of the big island boys said those bolts still came loose so after the torque wrench "clicked" he would continue to tighten said bolts....

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I was told many years ago to set it back to zero once you're done. So like those above I've done it since I bought mine 15 or so years ago.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
I should note, its not for the deflecting beam type :p
Would be curious to see how it effects and strays from the calibrated values over time.

*do Also want to note, the guys at work have next to no mechanical knowledge or abilities.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8

Yes, another one who always returns to zero.
Even if the job is only half finished, I will return to zero for overnight storage, even to go back to where it was the next day
Heck I'll probably return to zero when finished with it on one side of the car before repeating the entire process on the other side.

The spring tension load will go soft over time (a long time) if left under strain constantly. Return to zero to relieve strain and maintain calibration longer.