Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Thoughts on 185kw ECU into 165kw SS

Jaymz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec 1996, VS SS 1996
Hi all,

I have tried to do some research into this to get some idea of the pros and cons of doing what i am about to suggest below. But have been unable to find an answer that is close enough related to what i am asking to make me feel comfortable in doing the change.

The idea:
I have a 96 SS with all the standard SS stuff on it (standard headers, ECU and chip, etc) which from what i can confirm was putting out 165kw of power.
I also happen to have a ECU and chip from a 185kw engine (I also have the knock sensor and the engine loom - part of a full engine I got)

My thoughts were to simply put the chip from the 185kw ECU straight into the SS - but found out that in order to get to 185kw, Holden programmed the chips to receive info from a knock sensor to help protect the engine.

I have a knock sensor and the engine loom, but from what i have read there is also a control module for the knock sensor. Is it part of the ECU or a separate unit?

The other issue i have is the chip that is in the 185kw ECU is a re-programmed on - it has a sticker on it for a crowd in Auckland. There is a chance that the knock sensor could have been removed from the programming.

If i was to simply take the 185kw ECU and plug it straight into the SS today, would i damage any part of the system in doing so? Or am i better to swap the chip over instead?
Would i expect to see error codes on the computer for the knock sensor? (and not see error codes if the knock sensor had been programmed out of the computer?)

I have the ALDL cable and software from EnvyousCustoms so happy to see codes that way.

Appreciate any thoughts/ideas guys

Cheers

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
The purpose of the knock sensor was to retard the ignition timing when using normal unleaded petrol to prevent detonation damage to the engine. If the knock sensor hasn't been removed from the tune, you will get the engine light on and an error code 43 logged in the ECU, and no action will be taken if detonation occurs. However, if you use 98 octane petrol (most of us, I think, use BP Ultimate) you won't have a problem with detonation causing engine damage on a standard engine.

So, just replace the memcal (chip) not the entire ECU. Note that the 185kw power level was achieved with a sports exhaust system and CAI in addition to the memcal.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Lot of effort for not much gain. More hassle then it's worth wiring up the knock sensor.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
A lot of effort for little gain & mostly there to retard timing with bad fuel....dudes used to put 165kw cars in fault mode...bump base timing up & fill tank with premium felt faster lol

Most likely go into limp mode or won't start(vats).

Better off getting memcal from pcmhacking blokes

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
You'll achieve a better result with a good mail order tune - @The1 or @2INIL8 should be able to help you. I've had mail order tunes done by both of these guys and certainly gives a decent improvement, especially with an auto.

Jaymz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec 1996, VS SS 1996
Thanks guys, really appreciate the feedback.

The SS has a CAI already installed (maybe factory?) And i plan to get some better headers for the car eventually.

The interesting twist with the whole thing is that the 185kw chip is already a modified chip (by a crowd in Auckland) so it could have other improvements, but it is a complete unknown as it is not factory. It was from a Auto as well.
Is it possible to read out what settings are on it with the Delco Flash? I wonder if that would be a good thing to do first. Get a copy of the program on each and compare with a standard 185kw chip's programming.

I think i will go ahead and make the swap of the chip - and see what improvements (or problems) come from doing it.

I appreciate doing a proper tune (rather than a mail order chip) is the best way to go. But funds are a bit limited at the moment, so while i save up for it, it might be a good experiment.

In regards to swapping the chip over, it looks easy enough to unplug the old and plug in the new, is there anything else i need to do for the car to "accept" the new chip?

As for testing - Not sure exactly how to make a comparison between the chip's performance improvement to the car - I guess a straight line drag speed test might be best. I bet there will be a bit of placebo effect happening!

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
Ide fit it and the knock sensor if the memcal has a knock filter board fitted.you can suck the tune out with your aldl cable

Last edited:

Jaymz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec 1996, VS SS 1996
u can suck the tune out with your aldl cable

Thanks, i will check the memcal tonight - pull the cover off and have a look-see.

I have been having a read over some of the articles on the PCMHacking site and there is a huge amount of information for me to digest to get my head around it all. From what i can gather so far i can read the current tune with TunerPro and the OSEPlugin which is handy.

I might give it a go and see what i can pull from it. I am feeling pretty cautious in doing all this though, don't want to stuff anything up with it! I might have some more dumbass questions before too long though

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
Cant really hurt anything