Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Things That Leave you Gobsmacked (In A Good Way)

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Iv'e said it before but it is still relevant. When everyone hates you your dog still loves you. Yes they can be a pain in the arse at times but that makes them more loveable.

I have always believed dogs are the best judge of character with people....And yes agreed with the rest of your statement...

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Bear with me , My mother's father severed in 1st World War, ( she kept ) Stuff for a long long time. !!!!
In May 2023 when she moved into a nursing home, my youngest brother and I = where's PAs Diaries ? = no where to be seen.

He was not some whippersnapper = was going on 32 when enlisted = posted , spent time in Egypt , Flanders, Ypres and the Somme.
Was Gassed, spent Time in England/ recovery/hospital.
Passed away walking up to shops =, sat down on a brick fence in 1970 !!!!

The real Gobsmacked Sxxt , !!!!!
EDIT:
Mum gave some boxes to the Salvation Army at least 10 years ago and it turns out his diaries were in them.
On ANZAC day while watching ceremonies I googled his name ( I've done this before with no luck ).

This time I added the year he was born and to my amazement a result.
There was a link to newspaper article about found diggers diaries and trying to find relatives.
The date of the story was December 2014 so again not holding hope but there was an email address so I sent off an email.

I got a reply .
So is at least some chance we'll get PAs diaries back.

Still lots of luck needed !!!

Last edited:

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Bear with me , My mother's father severed in 1st World War, ( she kept ) Stuff for a long long time. !!!!
In May 2023 when she moved into a nursing home, my youngest brother and I = where's PAs Diaries ? = no where to be seen.

He was not some whippersnapper = was going on 32 when enlisted = posted , spent time in Egypt , Flanders, Ypres and the Somme.

EDIT:
Mum gave some boxes to the Salvation Army at least 10 years ago and it turns out his diaries were in them.
On ANZAC day while watching ceremonies I googled his name ( I've done this before with no luck ).

There was a link to newspaper article about found diggers diaries and trying to find relatives.
The date of the story was December 2014 so again not holding hope but there was an email address so I sent off an email.

I got a reply .

Good luck with the diaries!

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Good luck with the diaries!
Thanks

EDIT:

I got a reply .

Update .
The genealogist, whose email address it was rang me this early arvo = good old chat and more to come .
Listening to her description of how she became involved = 1 **** event , mum accidently threw out and quite a few good gobsmacked ( in the good side )=events took place to = where now .
Where Now!!!
In the NSW State Library!!!
I got the impression that's where they're staying ( and I do wonder if that's not better ).
A little disappointed , I rang my youngest brother after talking to her and the same but they are on display and as relatives we can visit and access and read .
Asked about copies being made = answer = hopefully at the end of the week.
Genealogist also said there was 19 pages of service history for him , have looked but not in detail at this time.
She also said can get reproduction medals made .

My brother said his son ( turns 14 in a couple of weeks ) wants to join the army, joined the Army Cadets last year.
My brother while trying to be supportive , also trying to steer him.
I'm thinking through this part of the conversation = go Airforce ( I spent my working life in aviation = including ,I worked on RAAF 707 tankers, C130 Hercules transport and 14 years on FA18 Hornets,
And He said Airforce = yeah.
He has mentioned Officer training.
That would be super cool ( and proud ) to see a nephew as an Officer wearing his and my grandfathers and his Great Grandfathers medals.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Wife had the new neighbours over for a drink this arvo. Got showing the husband through my shed and he was pretty impressed. We were talking car stuff in the shed and turns out his father owns the now closed down business Tru Wheels. But the good thing is he said although his father has officially shut up shop, he plans to dabble in some wheel repairs and has kept all his equipment.
I was like yes, I have three more factory Monaro mags I want to get straitened and the hub faces machined. He had done three for me already.
Here I thought I was going to need to drop them off 3.5hrs away and then somehow pick them back up, when I'm lucky if I get to Hobart once every 18 months. Tassie is a small place. Pretty stoked and this might be the push I need to finally paint the two spares I have on the shelves, which I stripped and sandblasted probably over 12 months ago.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
$5 vest I use on the bike over my leather race jacket wouldn't zip up tonight after work. Got about 1/3 of the way home and I was freezing. Earlier I went to Kmart to try and find a replacement as so cold ATM, no luck all too short and too thin. Had a roll of duct tape in my bag so wrapped a few strips over the vest to try and keep me warm. Got home and was like far out, can't ride to work until I sort out a new one. Then I thought I'll try squeezing the zip closer with some pliers as had nothing to lose. Sure enough it fixed it. So my $5 riding vest lives another day and I don't have to go to four different shops to try and find a new one.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
You have the oddest spending/priorities :D

Us men just hate shopping (yes I’m generalising). I’m on team Losh as well, I could have a million dollars in the bank but if I can spend an hour fixing something that costs $20 so I don’t have to spend half an hour at the shops then it’s an hour well spent!

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Took the wife's car in to have the cooling system serviced. Estimate was $250 two weeks ago, got the bill $220. That took my by surprise as I was thinking being a nine year old car with all hoses still factory the bill might have exceeded $250. Had I flushed it myself I probably still would have spent $220 or more, as they use a specific type of coolant, which I might not have realised and just used the regular Nulon Red. Plus I would have changed hoses thinking nine year old rubber can't be any good. Bloke said the newer hoses are far better these days than the old stuff, there you go, I didn't know that. Means I can treat myself to Dirty Bird over the weekend if I want..... :p

• Haha
Reactions: Lex