Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Strut top bush/rubber moving.

Z2TT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore
Hi Guys,

I went to pedders and got the check up done and they told me the bearing on the strut was "punched in" or something like that, but I had just replaced that bearing, the yellow one about 40,000km ago and even then it was still OK.

I'm not sure how to test if the strut tops are all good but for some reason when turning the rubber moves a lot at the top, here is a video, is this normal? or Should I tighten the top nut on the strut rod more.

Here is a video of what it does when I move the strut left and right

VIDEO0052 - YouTube

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Tightening the nut won't help, it is meant to be done up as tight as it'll go and has no effect on how much the rubber moves (all it does is hold the shocker in firm against the bearing and strut top)
Looks like the rubber's old and worn to me so perhaps replace the entire strut top, is there any signs of the rubber perishing/cracking?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I agree with Jxw, worn strut tops.

Z2TT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore
I agree with Jxw, worn strut tops.

The rubber looks pretty new condition, I'm not really sure how to tell if it's worn even when taken out as I had done the shocks
before. But should it definately not be doing this when turning?

Is it only 1 piece that needs replacing, I forgot or does it come in 2 pieces, I guess I'll just ask for a strut top at Repco.

Also how do the bump stops look like as a report on pedders said bump stops cannot be seen not sure if it was correct or not.

I guess something like this will do :

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Strut-Mo...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c23e5f55a

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
The rubber looks pretty new condition, I'm not really sure how to tell if it's worn even when taken out as I had done the shocks
before. But should it definately not be doing this when turning?

Is it only 1 piece that needs replacing, I forgot or does it come in 2 pieces, I guess I'll just ask for a strut top at Repco.

Also how do the bump stops look like as a report on pedders said bump stops cannot be seen not sure if it was correct or not.

I guess something like this will do :

Strut Mount Bearing Kit Commodore VR VS VT VU VX VY VZ Holden Top Rubber | eBay

either way if they do or don't look perished and worn they're moving way to much, imagine how much that movement is amplified when you're doing 100km/h and turning the wheel, 1400 kg of car putting more pressure on that strut top than you can while it's stationary, that moving is messing with all the front end alignment..... replace it.

The bump stops are hidden, when you look at the spring you'll see a rubber dust cover (they're in behind that and not visible), unless you are out 4x4'ing or have super low springs i wouldn't even bother about them, a few cars in the past i've turfed them and the dust covers cause they were perished and falling apart, never bottomed the suspension out and have seen no loss in life from the shocks.

06Calais

Keeps me Broke
Reaction score
Website
img717.imageshack.us
Members Ride
06 calais
I have a simlar problem ( I think). I have just had all my struts and bushes replaced. I didnt notice it on the 90 minute drive home. Perhaps coz I was exhausted or perhaps coz I had the stereo too loud. Had the AC On too. But the next day I had to go to the dentist and it was then that from the front Right the car made this faint knocking noise over every small to medium bump. It doesnt really do it on larger ones. it seems to go away a little the faster I go. I assume the downforce is squashinf the car down a little maybe. We checked to see how the Old strut mount top bush fitted. but it was loose as hell sow grabbed new ones (OEM's from Bursons) and they apeared (to me, but im not the mechanic) to fit much more snug than the old ones did (but the old ones never knocked). The bearings were replaces with brand new cassettes. but now this knock. Im noot sure when my mechanic will be able to check this for me. He's a mate. I supose my best mate and he lives 90 minutes away. about 90 KM of bumpy outback highway. So im not keen to go out both pestering him as well as racking up more KM on my already high KM Calais. 320k KM. .

Also today I had to do a U Turnand I heard a kind of a clunk/knock. Also from the front, but I had my head turned and so I couldnt be sure if it was from the left or right.

The knock that I am hearing over bumps is not quite metalic in its sound. but that could be from all the body dampening deadening stuff planted all overr these cars. Its sounds more like hard or heavy plastic hitting hard or heavy plastic. with a small touch of metalicness in it, but not much.

What do ya'll reckon it could be? The Strut Mount Top Bush moving around? Or somthing else? I might jack her up and get under and see if I can see anything looking out of place. I've checked the Top Nuts but they seem fine. they are lock tighted and they are also one of those special crimped or pinched nuts. (They got that little notch in the side). Incase I didnt mention it. Everything is to OEM spec, not lowered or anything. Just Super Pro Eurathane Bushes, but not the tops.

06Calais

Keeps me Broke
Reaction score
Website
img717.imageshack.us
Members Ride
06 calais
I'd like to also add that I dont understand the fuss that some people made about Eurathane Bushes being too stiff or making the ride too harsh. I think its only now a smidgen more harsh, but nothing like what I was almost expecting. lol. I was expecting it to feel like a mini truck like a 1980's to mid 1990's 2wd 1 Ton Hilux. I had a 97 hilux and that thing gave me back problems the suspension was so stiff. It often felt like it had no suspension at all. So while the calais is a little rougher ride now, its not that bad and totally offset by the more magnetic ride it now has. By that I mean it feels like its magnetic to the road more now. It feels like its heavier on the road. hugging it more. These are difficult things to describe im now realizing. and it hasnt had its proper wheel alignment yet. I also had Monroe GT Gas allround put in. They feel great too. Though I am scared (after reading a few things about them in here) that they may not last very long (and im all about longevity of componants :/). but right now they feel AWESOME! Except for that darn knock. I wish I knew what that was.

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
I'd like to also add that I dont understand the fuss that some people made about Eurathane Bushes being too stiff or making the ride too harsh. I think its only now a smidgen more harsh, but nothing like what I was almost expecting. lol. I was expecting it to feel like a mini truck like a 1980's to mid 1990's 2wd 1 Ton Hilux. I had a 97 hilux and that thing gave me back problems the suspension was so stiff. It often felt like it had no suspension at all. So while the calais is a little rougher ride now, its not that bad and totally offset by the more magnetic ride it now has. By that I mean it feels like its magnetic to the road more now. It feels like its heavier on the road. hugging it more. These are difficult things to describe im now realizing. and it hasnt had its proper wheel alignment yet. I also had Monroe GT Gas allround put in. They feel great too. Though I am scared (after reading a few things about them in here) that they may not last very long (and im all about longevity of componants :/). but right now they feel AWESOME! Except for that darn knock. I wish I knew what that was.
Did you replace the sway bar links? Worn sway bar links knock and carry on like what your describing also wouldn’t hurt to replace the d bushes on the sway bar if they haven’t been done