Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VY] Splice in LED light strips to your fog light wires.

Verynice

Band
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice 5L
looks a lot better than the ones under the headlights i must say :thumbsup:

Cosmosis

Space Cadet
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S
Hey mate.
LED strip looks the goods! just curioius to know what sized LED H3s you used in the foglights?

StormVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Storm Ute
Hey mate.
LED strip looks the goods! just curioius to know what sized LED H3s you used in the foglights?
This might help. If you search for 12V H3 LED fog, you should be able to get the right ones. Just make sure they are SMD style LEDs. The ones with 26 LEDs on them only just fit in the enclosure.

DylanWillo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 2005
Ive heard that LED lights are only a legality issue if the cops can see the source of the light. well thats in Perth anyway.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
If splicing into a positive and negative wire that are in close proximity like these, you should offset the the splice so that in a worst case scenario what you insulate it with (elecy tape, heat shrink etc) wears thru/falls off it won't be a dead short but has to wear further through the proper insulation of the wires, never should you strip and splice a positive and negative wire in the same place along the loom
7FL9I.jpg

VS FTW

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
I doubt it would be illegal caus all the better VE's (clubsport, maloo etc.) have exact same look as part of the standard light and across the kit's trims, so unless its illegal because its not a standard upgrade from the dealership (which is ricidulous its just a modification like speakers, wheels, chargers, your just upgrading) it would be fine. Thats just my opinion though, dont blame me if you get a ticket, which could be easily talked out of :D

Last edited:

Ando227

Serious?
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Series II Ute
Good advice on the splicing... I use to have these under my headlights on my VZ here are some Laws from the RTA for NSW.

Road Transport (Vehicle Registration) Regulation 2007

Schedule 2 Vehicle standards

Division 4 Daytime running lights
94 Daytime running lights
(1) A pair of daytime running lights may be fitted to a motor vehicle.
(2) A pair of daytime running lights fitted to a vehicle with 4 or more wheels must be fitted with the centre of each light:
(a) at least 600 millimetres from the centre of the other light, and
(b) not over 510 millimetres from the nearer side of the vehicle.
(3) However, a pair of daytime running lights fitted to a motor vehicle under 1300 millimetres wide may be fitted with the centre of each light not under 400 millimetres from the centre of the other light.
Location of daytime running lights on a vehicle
(4) When on, a daytime running light must:
(a) show a white or yellow light visible from the front of the vehicle, and
(b) not use over 25 watts power.
Note. The third edition ADRs only allow white daytime running lights.
(5) Daytime running lights must be wired so they are off when a headlight, except a headlight being used as a flashing signal, is on.
(6) For subclause (3), the width of a vehicle is measured disregarding any anti-skid device mounted on wheels, central tyre inflation systems, lights, mirrors, reflectors, signalling devices and tyre pressure gauges.

TRI570

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec S2
looks neat mate im wanting to install a small strip inside the engine bay near the front grill but only to come on when i unlock the car. any ideas what circuit i should follow i.e the interior light so that when i turn the car on, it goes off.