Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Some how i'm running an illegal mechanic

Locl67vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy commodore l67
If the lease doesn’t say anything about working on your vehicle, then you need to consider the body corporate rules if your covered by one… If that doesn’t say anything then you need to consider what the council says.

The problem isn’t just working on your car as the lease/body corporate/council may have rules around noise, disturbances and such. For example, where I live, you can’t sit and idle a car for 1/2 an hour to warm up your car in the owning since the council rules state you must start and promptly drive off to reduce disturbances to your neighbours.

Check all the rules and then make sure you aren’t flagrantly breaking them (working on your car until the sun goes down banging on things generally will have you breaking noise rules).

Try and find out who is complaining and have a friendly talk to them. They could be doing shift work and your banging makes it hard for them to sleep or they could be asthmatic and petrol fumes make it hard for them to breath when the wind blows in a particular direction.

If you’re being reasonable and looking after the amenity of your surrounds (noise, fumes, etc) and your not disruptive to your neigbours (burnouts or racing the engine as you take off to work at 6am every morning) and your following the rules, then you should be ok to ignore such whining..

Just be cautious that your lease may have clauses around “disturbance” so as you live in a residential area, house mates work8ng on their cars at the same time does have the same characteristics as a workshop so that may put you in a difficult place should you continue…

Maybe don’t work on two cars at the same time and don’t work until sundown would be my advice.

Alternatively buy a small farm further out of the city and you can do almost anything you want. And when suburbia reaches you in 30 years, you can subdivide and retire rather wealthy ;) So this complain5 may be a blessing in disguise :p
I'm trying to find out who's complaining so we can work out a solution. Me and my house mate are looking for a place near the bush and has a decent sized garage or shed, problem is we can't find anything for under $600 a week.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Let me guess, a baby boomer with a shiteload of time and money and nothing better to do! Unless your council has a law against working on your own cars (some do I think, I know Logan council here in QLD were looking at it) they don’t really have a leg to stand on.
C'mon, don't heap everyone in the same basket.
I'm a baby boomer and work on my own cars here, and the neighbours actually come to me for help which I readily give.
I'm trying to find out who's complaining so we can work out a solution. Me and my house mate are looking for a place near the bush and has a decent sized garage or shed, problem is we can't find anything for under $600 a week.
Good luck with that.
Any one who complains usually does not have the guts to approach you directly.
Reading between the lines I feel you are maybe making noise and working on more than one car at a time as well as people coming and going so someone got the shiits with you.
You probably just need to tone it down a little and tell your visitor to do the same.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
You probably just need to tone it down a little and tell your visitor to do the same.
Your last comment, especially considering your handle rambunctious, made me laugh :cool:

rambunctious
/ramˈbʌŋ(k)ʃəs/
adjective INFORMAL•NORTH AMERICAN
uncontrollably exuberant; boisterous.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
IF you aren't running a business what you and your mates do on your property is non of the neighbors ******* concern as long as you don't breach noise regulations.

The way I read it, the agency informed you there was a complaint, seeing as they didn't read you the riot act or gave you a cease and desist notice they are completely fine with what you are doing. Carry on!

Long time ago we were scrapping a car, I had it on the front lawn trying to organize disposal with the missus bitching I needed to get rid of it. Council turned up, someone had complained about it but seeing as it was on my property the council officer had no authority to do anything and said as much and left. Missus then said to leave it there another month just to piss the neighbor off some more :)

Locl67vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy commodore l67
IF you aren't running a business what you and your mates do on your property is non of the neighbors ******* concern as long as you don't breach noise regulations.

The way I read it, the agency informed you there was a complaint, seeing as they didn't read you the riot act or gave you a cease and desist notice they are completely fine with what you are doing. Carry on!

Long time ago we were scrapping a car, I had it on the front lawn trying to organize disposal with the missus bitching I needed to get rid of it. Council turned up, someone had complained about it but seeing as it was on my property the council officer had no authority to do anything and said as much and left. Missus then said to leave it there another month just to piss the neighbor off some more :)
I've been working on my car and my house mate has been working on his car the same way since we moved in. Power tools off at 6pm, no reving the car unless we have too, clean up the yard after we're done for the day, ect.

So in the 2 years I've been living at the house, no complaints. It's just recently we got the complaint. Used to work on my house mates 80 series before it rolled ,every weekend. Used to work on my VW golf as well and had no complaints. It might be one of the neighbors or someone who drives past( being on one of the main roads).

Anyway they're going to hate me this weekend, ended up having 3-4 slip on my 4l60e. I'm going to swap it this weekend if the weather holds up.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Your last comment, especially considering your handle rambunctious, made me laugh :cool:

rambunctious
/ramˈbʌŋ(k)ʃəs/
adjective INFORMAL•NORTH AMERICAN
uncontrollably exuberant; boisterous.
Having been there done that I can understand both sides of the problem.
Gees in the 60's I had and FC with 313 cu inch chrysler in it so imagine the fun I had with the neighbours.
And I fitted it in the backyard of the parents home with an arc welder, large drill, and 9" angle grinder.
Poor old bugger next door was always complaining about the welder shooting test patterns through his tv.
Used to make my own wide wheels and extractors same place.
Then my son's created havoc for my neighbours with ported RX 7 blap blap, and 383 LJ with 3" pipes, not to mention trucks and a mack prime mover so my neighbours must have hated me but they could not go running to an agent cause it was my home, and that is usually the difference that people will call an agent or someone else to do their dirty work, as I said, no guts and unfortunately the OP is up against it.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Work goes easier with some loud music in the back ground :)

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Many councils in Australia can fine the home owner if they have smashed unregistered cars in their front yard that they are wrecking or have a messy junk filled back yard that cause rodent problems for neighbours. In the worst cases, the councils can organises cleanup at the owners cost and/or tow away those eyesore wrecked cars filling the front yard … One don’t really want to be pissing off a council by ignoring their bylaws cause they can become a royal PITA and end up costing the homeowner.

So not all council areas are the same.

Really, it’s always advantageous to know your rental agreement inside out and also understand body corporate rules and council bylaws. For owners, best to understand council bylaws. That way if a neighbour has an issue which can’t be resolved amicably like adults, which usually occurs when the other party is unreasonable, and you are within your rights, you can tell them to take a long walk off a short pier and cool down a little :p

In this case it sounds like OP is being reasonable and some new arrival to the neighbourhood thinks his shite don’t stink and want to sort out those other miscreants (as he sees it). Good luck to him but I suspect he’ll simply make enemies all around :mad:

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
C'mon, don't heap everyone in the same basket.
I'm a baby boomer and work on my own cars here, and the neighbours actually come to me for help which I readily give.
I’m not tarring everyone with the same brush. Not every baby boomer is a whinger but nearly all whingers are baby boomers!

You show me the last time someone under 65 turned up to a council meeting to bitch about higher density limits in their neighbourhood and I’ll show you god.

*Tongue firmly in cheek*.

Locl67vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy commodore l67
Many councils in Australia can fine the home owner if they have smashed unregistered cars in their front yard that they are wrecking or have a messy junk filled back yard that cause rodent problems for neighbours. In the worst cases, the councils can organises cleanup at the owners cost and/or tow away those eyesore wrecked cars filling the front yard … One don’t really want to be pissing off a council by ignoring their bylaws cause they can become a royal PITA and end up costing the homeowner.

So not all council areas are the same.

Really, it’s always advantageous to know your rental agreement inside out and also understand body corporate rules and council bylaws. For owners, best to understand council bylaws. That way if a neighbour has an issue which can’t be resolved amicably like adults, which usually occurs when the other party is unreasonable, and you are within your rights, you can tell them to take a long walk off a short pier and cool down a little :p

In this case it sounds like OP is being reasonable and some new arrival to the neighbourhood thinks his shite don’t stink and want to sort out those other miscreants (as he sees it). Good luck to him but I suspect he’ll simply make enemies all around :mad:
I'm always reasonable, if the bloke who complains came and talked or at least gave a list to the real estate then I would happily come to a compromise. It's just frustrating, people across the street do the same thing as I do and they don't get complaints. They have a 6.2l vz which is cammed and louder than my l67. The other bloke has Harley's, speed boats and a hotted up torana. I think old mate didn't like how my car took a few weekends to do an engine swap. Mind you the weather was bad, lockdown hit and I only had my house mate to help . It took 4 blokes to push the engine crane because of the drive Is on a slope and its cracked. Plus that was a few months ago.