Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rest In Peace Nelson Mandela

corhijasna

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss commodore / WM Caprice V
the terrorist thing was what he was convicted of back in the 60's,he wasn't of course, they were the charges laid against him because of the group he was associated with

as I said before,the world has truly lost a great man who sacrificed himself for his country and stood up against apartheid and brought it to the attention of the world,only after a lot of years did things start to change and he started it all going,his speech when he was imprisoned is still used to this day

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
Finally, he's finally dead!

This may sound like a horrible thing to say but on TV he looked like he was ready to go a while ago.

My nana got to that stage and fortunately the family agreed to not force feed her and just let her go, I only wish Mandela's family could have done the same for him.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
the terrorist thing was what he was convicted of back in the 60's,he wasn't of course, they were the charges laid against him because of the group he was associated with

as I said before,the world has truly lost a great man who sacrificed himself for his country and stood up against apartheid and brought it to the attention of the world,only after a lot of years did things start to change and he started it all going,his speech when he was imprisoned is still used to this day

The group was the ANC ,accused of being terrorists by the white Government at the time , and correct, he did sacrifice himself by being sent to prison , for those interested , his book , Long Walk to Freedom , is well worth a read

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
I'm alittle worried about what will happen over there now that he's gone. He had some pretty fanatical followers.

corhijasna

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss commodore / WM Caprice V
The group was the ANC ,accused of being terrorists by the white Government at the time , and correct, he did sacrifice himself by being sent to prison , for those interested , his book , Long Walk to Freedom , is well worth a read

thanks for that,i couldn't remember what the group was called,his book is definitely worth a read,the documentary's are also worth a look imo

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
I'm alittle worried about what will happen over there now that he's gone. He had some pretty fanatical followers.

Yeah , I am too mate , I love going back there , the scenery is spectacular , but yes , I do worry for South Africa's future , its easy for to me say that now I live in NZ , but I'm still a SAFA , and proud of it .

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

you mean the group he co-founded?

Inspired by Fidel Castro's 26th of July Movement in the Cuban Revolution, in 1961 Mandela co-founded Umkhonto we Sizwe ("Spear of the Nation", abbreviated MK) with Sisulu and the communist Joe Slovo. Becoming chairman of the militant group, he gained ideas from illegal literature on guerilla warfare by Mao and Che Guevara. Officially separate from the ANC, in later years MK became the group's armed wing

Operating through a cell structure, the MK agreed to acts of sabotage to exert maximum pressure on the government with minimum casualties, bombing military installations, power plants, telephone lines and transport links at night, when civilians were not present. Mandela noted that should these tactics fail, MK would resort to "guerilla warfare and terrorism."[104] Soon after ANC leader Luthuli was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize, the MK publicly announced its existence with 57 bombings on Dingane's Day (16 December) 1961, followed by further attacks on New Year's Eve

MK went on to do some big things, BIG things.

In 1983, the Church Street bomb was detonated in Pretoria near the South African Air Force Headquarters, resulting in 19 deaths and 217 persons injuries. During the next 10 years, a series of bombings occurred in South Africa, conducted mainly by the military wing of the African National Congress

In the Amanzimtoti bomb on the Natal South Coast in 1985, five civilians were killed and 40 were injured when MK cadre Andrew Sibusiso Zondo detonated an explosive in a rubbish bin at a shopping centre killing five people, including three children, shortly before Christmas

A bomb was detonated in a bar on the Durban beach-front in 1986, killing three civilians and injuring 69

In 1987, an explosion outside a Johannesburg court killed three people and injured 10; a court in Newcastle had been attacked in a similar way the previous year, injuring 24. In 1987, a bomb exploded at a military command centre in Johannesburg, killing one person and injuring 68 personnel

The bombing campaign continued with attacks on a series of soft targets, including a bank in Roodepoort in 1988, in which four civilians were killed and 18 injured. Also in 1988, in a bomb detonation outside a magistrate's court killed three. At the Ellis Park rugby stadium in Johannesburg, a car bomb, killed two and injured 37 civilians. A multitude[citation needed] of bombs in "Wimpy Bar" fast food outlets and supermarkets occurred during the late 1980s, killing and wounding many people. Wimpy were specifically targeted because of their perceived rigid enforcements of many Apartheid-era laws, including excluding people of colour from their restaurants. Several other bombings occurred, with smaller numbers of casualties

From 1985 to 1987, there also was a campaign to place anti-tank mines in rural roads in what was then the Northern Transvaal. This tactic was abandoned due to the high rate of civilian casualties—especially amongst black labourers. The ANC estimated 30 landmine explosions resulting in 23 deaths, while the government submitted a figure of 57 explosions resulting in 25 deaths

The TRC found that torture was "routine" and was official policy – as were executions "without due process" at ANC detention camps particularly in the period of 1979–1989

as fundraisers for Amnesty International, we were NOT permitted to talk about Mandella. as he is considered a "known terrorist"

but granted we make mistakes in our youth, and he sure as hell has paid his pennance, i just like people to know all the facts before they jump on the bandwagon.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
'One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter'. Quite a lot of historical persons, honourable now, did things regarded as terrorism. George Washington fought in American war of independence, which could be regarded as terrorist event ( rebelling against the British). Charles DeGaulle fought with the Resistance (I think). But he led South Africa from the nonsensical abyss that was apartheid, onto a new future. RIP Madiba.....

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
Photo%206-12-13%2011%2035%2049%20AM.jpg