Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removing Spark plugs V6 Engine - (VY model)

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
2004 VY Model V6 engine

1. Does anyone have any tips on removal and replacement of spark plugs on the V6. Anything to be wary of?
Do the plug wires come off the plugs easily on these engines?

Only asking as I have not done this work on this car before.(On many other cars yes but not on this one). Has been done by the mechanics previously.

2. Any recommendations on the Brand of new plugs to use for replacement?

Thanks

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Yes the plug leads can be a pain in the ass and to avoid breaking them, twist them from side to side a few times before gently pulling them off. Do one plug at a time and reconnect the leads as you go to make sure you don't lose track of which order they go. The metal insulators do not need to be renewed. I would go for NGK BPR6EFS15, as they are a good plug. As with all plugs, do them up nice and firm, but don't force tighten them. Hope this helps.

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the comment - it does help.

I was especially concerned about how tight the plug leads seem to be on these cars.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY s m5 supercharged
The leads can be a real pain to get off, just twist and pull them but still some force will be needed

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
Don't twist em IMO. A wiggle side to side and a good firm grip at the middle of the boot will do nicely. Some plug boot pliers could be a good addition to your tool kit if you aren't that dextrous with the fingers too.

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
THANKS for the posts.

Sean

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY s m5 supercharged
Dont twist them all the way around but yes twist/wiggle from side to side

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Ecotec plugleads are a piece of piss to get off. Gen III are a pain in the arse.

Wiggle the leads up and down, with a slight twisting motion. Never broken a lead on an Ecotec before and i've replaced close to 100 spark plugs on these motors.

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Ecotec plugleads are a piece of piss to get off. Gen III are a pain in the arse.

Wiggle the leads up and down, with a slight twisting motion. Never broken a lead on an Ecotec before and i've replaced close to 100 spark plugs on these motors.

Yes they are a "Piece of piss", the man just wanted some advice on removing leads and changing plugs. It can be easy to break a lead if one just pulls on it without twisting and loosening it first.