Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rear Wheel Bearing?

xeanerix20

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Spac
Hi there everyone. I'm having problem with my car. the thing is there's a noice coming from the rear driver's side wheel of the car that started two weeks ago. When I run the car first thing in the morning it will be quite, but after lets say 10 to 15 kms of driving the noice starts. it's like a grinding noise and sometimes even with a knocking sound like a metal to metal sound. and when i get to the driveway and reverse it, i can hear a grinding or humming sound from that right rear wheel. I think it's the Wheel bearing breaking off, because 2 weews ago when thast noise started I thought it was the driveshaft, so I bought a new driveshaft and install it. But when i removed the old driveshaft from the hub inner flange, i found a lot of black grease inside the inner flange you can't even see the nut on it because it's covered with thick black grease. So I suspect the grease comes from the bearing, and it my be dry already inside the flange that's why it's making noise.

So I brought the car to Kmart Auto and told them that the right wheel bearing is shut. But when they get back on me, they said that they have inspected it and they can't find any fault on the bearing. I assumed they just did the tyre pushing side to side and up and down. I did that as well in my garage on the stand but i can't see any free play on the wheel. there's is free play though when you spin it maybe more that 1cm. and a little bit of grinding but i don't here the knocking or rumbling sound, maybe because the wheels are not on the ground and i think that's the case too in kmart when they piut on the hoist. I tried to tell them about the amount of grease that i found on the inner flange, but the guy seems like don't want to believe me. So i said, if it makes noise again tommorow i'm gona take it back and ask one of the mechanic to come with me for a drive while the noise is present.

Any suggestion guys please???

Thank in advance,

Erick

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Knocking is not really a worn bearing noise, it's more a driveshaft, tailshaft, diff noise.
The CV joints of the driveshafts are packed with grease, so that would be where the grease came from, not the wheel bearing.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
As above, grease is most likely from the CV.

Taking one of the mechanics for a spin is probably your best bet as they will have a better understanding of what is going on and where to look. As above I'd be looking at either C.V joints or the diff.

I have a stuffed diff and what you describe sounds much like the what it is doing.

D

devilly

when was the last time trans and diff oil was changed ? only reason im thinking this is because you explain different noises for going forward and backward.

metal to metal knocking check the splash plate that goes around the rotors isn't touching anything.

another good test is when it's making noise put it in neutral,see if noise stays or goes.

xeanerix20

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Spac
Thanks for replying guys. I just want to add that the rubber boot of the old driveshaft that i removed is in good condition, i didn't see any leaking grease coming from the driveshaft. And the end plate of the driveshaft is sealed so there's no way the driveshaft can leak the grease inside the inner flange where you bolt on the driveshaft. And I installed a brand new driveshaft already but the noise is still there. Regarding the diff oil, i think the last time I change it was 2 years ago.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Are ur brake pads low or completely worn?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Does the grinding noise occur mostly when turning?

Does it make the knock/metalic noise when loading/unloading the drive line (going on/off the throttle)?

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
Could also be that your handbrake has collapsed for some strange reason inside the rotor hub. But is sounds more like the stub axle/diff. Grab the inner side of the cv near the diff and see if it has any lateral play...then do the same thing for the tailshaft at the front of the diff

xeanerix20

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Spac
Does the grinding noise occur mostly when turning?

Does it make the knock/metalic noise when loading/unloading the drive line (going on/off the throttle)?

That's exactly what's it doing mate! Exactly!

xeanerix20

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Spac
Could also be that your handbrake has collapsed for some strange reason inside the rotor hub. But is sounds more like the stub axle/diff. Grab the inner side of the cv near the diff and see if it has any lateral play...then do the same thing for the tailshaft at the front of the diff

Yeah, i tried that this morning what your suggesting with the diff, there's a little bit of play but maybe 1 or 2 mm.