Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Next Holden to get after a 2006 SVZ alloytech?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
funny thing is the Buick 3800/ecotec was originally designed for FWD as well but they managed to not put the thermostat in a retarded place.
The benefit of putting it in the manifold, although the S1 3800 and the L67 didn't get out of it so easily. In some way I reckon that was also a fluke, but Holden also actually had the wisdom to design their own manifold for the purpose which is why you don't see Ecotec manifolds in the States. Read a few insights on people saying that the Ecotec manifold was a lot better than the banana style one they originally used over the ditch.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
The benefit of putting it in the manifold, although the S1 3800 and the L67 didn't get out of it so easily.
The downside of putting it in the manifold of course is the LIM gasket!

Pitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY
Thank you all for your input.

My 2006 SVZ has 140k on the clock, It's my only car (used to get to work) and i am getting the timing chain done next week at RevHigh Hallam.

i have the error code P0016 - indicating camshaft position sensor for bank 1 does not correlate to the signal from the crankshaft position sensor.

The car is driving fine as well, not even rough or anything (it's the only car i have so i have to drive it to work 10kms) I get the Check Powertrain light coming on.

I have 4 more days of driving it before i get the car in the shop. ( The car is not in limp mode or anything, i am just driving cautiously)

I contacted RevHigh, and paid $100 for a booking. They seemed to say timing chain replacement, but I'm wondering how they could just say that straight off the bat without any diagnostic? Isn't there a swap sensor thing you can do to see if senor or chain is the culprit?

Will they do a diagnostic or something? or am i just going to get staight up slugged for around $1500 timing kit and, oil pump + oil i think.

I see they are a sponsor of just commodores too, i hope they see this.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
i have the error code P0016 - indicating camshaft position sensor for bank 1 does not correlate to the signal from the crankshaft position sensor.

I contacted RevHigh, and paid $100 for a booking. They seemed to say timing chain replacement, but I'm wondering how they could just say that straight off the bat without any diagnostic? Isn't there a swap sensor thing you can do to see if senor or chain is the culprit?
That job is pretty much their bread and butter, they've done a lot of those, and if the vehicle has never had them done it's pretty much on par with every other chain for age/kms. Sure, ask them about a diagnostic (if you're concerned you should really contact them to ask), at least if it's not the chain you'll have found out for $100, but even if it was a sensor IMHO you'd be delaying the inevitable. $1500 is also a really good supply and fit price for all of those, going rate for a long time was about $3k - they can get the price down that low because they do a lot of these.

As for driveability, generally the error appears and the car is fine initially but gets worse and worse over time. Holden had a big bandaid fix where they'd just reflash some of the error parameters, but it would always reappear. Wouldn't be concerned about driving it like normal until you can get it to the shop though.

H

harrop.senator

My pick that I'm trying to talk the Mrs into is a pre 2021 Camry sport. The V6 didn't pass emissions in Aus here this year.

245 kW? From memory quad cam 6 that makes peak power lower then the alloytech , the 8 speed auto and is in my opinion one of the sexiest cars on the road at the moment.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
RevHigh are a good mob. You should feel confident in the work they do.