Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Next Holden to get after a 2006 SVZ alloytech?

Pitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY
Just about to get a timing chain done on this 2006 SVZ alloytech engine, which has led me to question my lifes decisions.

Everyone goes on about the alloyetch being the worst disaster of an engine

Is there a later model commodore that is more reliable? That doesn't have the same issues as these VZ's?

Did Holden learn from their mistakes in subsequent models?

Is there a recommended reliable model Holden I should look at next, my budget is very small.

Cheers.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
No old cars (over 5 to 10 years) are "reliable" persay

It's a love it or leave it senario

Look at the common faults of the makes and models within your budget

Then assess possible repair costs

It also comes down to if this is a daily driver that needs reliability, comfort and efficiency, or a second car for fun

If it's a daily focus on standard well maintained cars

Or, just keep the VZ well loved and serviced/maintained, you've just dropped coin on the timing chain, if that was the only issue why sell it now

You could buy a new old car now, which could drop its showbags in a years time

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
No old cars (over 5 to 10 years) are "reliable" persay

It's a love it or leave it senario

Look at the common faults of the makes and models within your budget

Then assess possible repair costs

It also comes down to if this is a daily driver that needs reliability, comfort and efficiency, or a second car for fun

If it's a daily focus on standard well maintained cars

Or, just keep the VZ well loved and serviced/maintained, you've just dropped coin on the timing chain, if that was the only issue why sell it now

You could buy a new old car now, which could drop its showbags in a years time

Have to agree with that.
I am on my 2nd VZ wagon and we have had 4 VZ's in the family all told and in all honesty I have had very little problems other than the normal radiator/water pump/ coils / battery etc
Never done timing chains but always serviced at or about 7000 k's
Parts are always going to be cheaper than another car.
If you can do the labour yourself you will save a shirtload of cash as opposed to being ripped by mechanics.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Is there a recommended reliable model Holden I should look at next, my budget is very small.
Unfortunately the pandemic problems with manufacturing combined with the notion that people now believe their base model VE/VFs are worth something because "they were the last" both driving the cost higher says no to me. There's probably still deals and fair prices to be had, but more and more price will probably be dictated more on what the individual owner thinks it's worth rather than going rate of the market.

IMHO the VZ V6 ECU failures are far more problematic than the chains as there's no third party manufacturer and there's a lot more faffing around in terms of linking electronics. You've fixed the Achilles heel in terms of the engine, as long as it's maintained there's no reason the engine shouldn't be "unrealiable" for the foreseeable future.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Just about to get a timing chain done on this 2006 SVZ alloytech engine, which has led me to question my lifes decisions.

Everyone goes on about the alloyetch being the worst disaster of an engine

Is there a later model commodore that is more reliable? That doesn't have the same issues as these VZ's?

Did Holden learn from their mistakes in subsequent models?

Cheers.
Holden did change the timing chains once they realised their mistake. I’ve got a 2008 VE SV6 with over 320,000kms on its original timing chains. Other than the usual consumables i’ve only had to replace the starter motor, water pump and some filler neck o rings since I bought it with 50,000km on the clock.

As ginger beer said older cars are never going to be completely reliable. You just need look at what the common faults are for that model of car and budget in having to replace those things.

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
we are all aware of the problems and cost to repair holden/ petrol engines but i been watching youtube videos about toyota diesel engines about there problems and again poorly serviced suffering injector blow back crack pistons and cost anywhere between 10-20k to fix

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Let’s put this whole timing chain thing into perspective. The myth about them comes from Holden lovers not familiar with an engine in a Holden with these new fangled quad cams etc.
Every engine that has timing belts, chains will go through this at some point just the same. Your lucky you don’t have a European car with this needing to be done.

The chains yours gets will be better than those originally installed.

I would strongly suggest you also replace the oil pump as well, otherwise if it goes, you get to pay for this job all over again.

Replacing the engine with a different/newer Alloytec such as the LFX will be as complicated or more as swapping an LS1 or LS2 into it.

An LS swap will require a donor car and all it’s wiring. To put an LFX in will require even more skill because the VZ never had direct injection or the computer and fuel pump to run it. So modifying and making whole new wiring to work the LFX with the VZ would do anyone’s head in.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I think the VZ is worth sticking to. Otherwise down grade to the VY and find one with a supercharged V6.

The VZ is, in my opinion, where the boundary between having a modern computer orientated system that is repairable and usable and that of the VE and VF with so many complicated interconnected CANbus system modules that chasing parts will be impossible in years to come.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I’d love to do a full wiring harness system mated to the Haltech Nexus R5 for the VY and VZ.

If only I had the time and resources :)

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Let’s put this whole timing chain thing into perspective. The myth about them comes from Holden lovers not familiar with an engine in a Holden with these new fangled quad cams etc. Every engine that has timing belts, chains will go through this at some point just the same.
No, not the same and not myth. Most timing chains are supposed to be a lifetime part, that combined with the fact that most Commodore timing chain problems were contained to a specific number of year models means it is not normal. If this was normal there would be a service interval from Holden for them just like a timing belt (does Holden have a timing chain interval? Genuinely asking). Or the timing chain for basically any GM OHV - 5L, LS, 3800/Buick? Just off the top of my head for example, I know that an SR20 timing chain is supposed to be replaced at 100k, but I have not met one person who has ever replaced it as an interval item and then have gotten them to near 300k kms with no stretching or noise issues and with heaps of abuse. The fact that mechanics en mass don't want to do this job should pretty much say it's not normal.

As for Euro cars, the debacle with the Audi V8s is exactly the same - Audi/VW designed them to be a lifetime part, so they put the chains at the back of the engine, then cheaped out on the entire chain and guide assembly. Guess what happened.

Last edited: