Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need your opinion/assessment on possible project I'm thinking about ...

xDJOHx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX/VZ
Fu Manchu: yeah, that
So it IS doable.
That, with a VX sedan shell.
That with a 308 block & suitable exhaust.
That with a bull bar.
That with a snorkel.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240410_093709_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240410_093709_Samsung Internet.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 32

xDJOHx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX/VZ
Sorry to bring this up again.

Bloke at the Smash Repairs reckoned to Commodore Shell wouldn't fit the Hilux chassis.
Don't understand, why?
Bunch of questions ...
Obviously wouldn't be a simple job.

But why would a Commodore Shell not fit a Hilux chassis?
Dimensions?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Because they are different cars from different manufactures.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

Bloke at the Smash Repairs reckoned to Commodore Shell wouldn't fit the Hilux chassis.
Don't understand, why?
Bunch of questions ...

Dimensions?

It'll fit....Just how much cutting, grinding and welding is required is another thing

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
A monoframe vehical on a chassis the commodore wheel base is wider . Nothing is the same in this day of needless certification and bureaucracy I doubt youll never get one registered with out spending a million dollars. Get the hilux going and go 4 wheeling in that.

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I have just re-read this thread and my opinion

Get the VX shell onto the Hilux frame idea, especially considering you don't want to wreck your Dad's memory.

Being as young as you are, the chances of EVER getting it completed are next to never, so there is the part about destroying your Dad's memory

The final nail in the coffin for wrecking it would be the costs of having it engineered and passed, with your age, unless you were left a million bucks.

We were all young and full of ideas like this once, so heed the advise and forget the body swap....The V8 Hilux swap would be more doable at your age and would still preserve your Dads memory by having the V8 running and the VX as a daily

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition

Don't understand, why?
Bunch of questions ...

Dimensions?
Mainly because the Hilux is a ladder frame design and the Commodore is a monocoque.

So you would first need to get the 308 engineered into the Hilux chassis and then chop enough of the Commodore chassis away to marry up with the Hilux chassis. Which would require body mountings to be modified to engineers specifications.

xDJOHx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX/VZ
"It'll fit....Just how much cutting, grinding and welding is required is another thing"
and
"A monoframe vehical on a chassis the commodore wheel base is wider ."

I understand it would be ridiculously expensive/impractical, just trying to understand why exactly. Wheel base: makes sense, but would you not just lift it?

An 80's Hilux, with a Holden 308 V8: I'd be happy with that. Shell: would need to replace panels. Chassis: would need to de-rust it *shrug* Pretty sure that's the direction I'll go. No worries

Just trying to understand specifically why I couldn't, hypothetically, chuck the Holden Shell on over the Hilux chassis - instead of replacing panels or chassis ...

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
A heaveir body than the chassis was designed for mounted higher than the standard body is a really good idea? If you did it would it 4 wheel as well as a stock lux too much work for no gain. I doubt you'll find an engineer silly enough to certify it. V8 luxs have a bad rep for killing people all ready.