Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need your opinion/assessment on possible project I'm thinking about ...

xDJOHx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX/VZ
G'day

So, Dad died last year & I've been busy organising everything.
His daily transport: VX Commodore.
But he was driving an 80's model Hilux in the early 2000s.
Back in the late 80s, early 90s, he was driving a V8 VK.
I'm not sure if the engine's out of his old VK, but he had a boxed-up 308 block (in the picture).

In your opinion, how bout the idea of chuckin the Shell of the VX Commodore on the Chassis of the 80's Hilux along with the 308. Turning the 80's Hilux into a V8 4x4 Commodore?

Know anyone in NSW, Northern NSW preferably, that I could talk to about this job?

Cheers

Attachments

• 20240408_112255.jpg
    20240408_112255.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 29

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Firstly, that’s a pretty hard thing to go through. I hope everyone is going ok all things considered. I’m sorry for your loss.

I think you would first need to talk to an engineer and that’s going to cost.

It might come unstuck with the VX part. The vehicle will have to meet VX emissions and the old 308 isn’t going to be able to. I’m not an engineer though.

They would be no shortage of people looking for a good 308 block.

Or just put the 308 in the Hilux, which was a common conversion back in the day.

xDJOHx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX/VZ
Firstly, that’s a pretty hard thing to go through. I hope everyone is going ok all things considered. I’m sorry for your loss.

I think you would first need to talk to an engineer and that’s going to cost.

It might come unstuck with the VX part. The vehicle will have to meet VX emissions and the old 308 isn’t going to be able to. I’m not an engineer though.

They would be no shortage of people looking for a good 308 block.

Or just put the 308 in the Hilux, which was a common conversion back in the day.
'Put the 308 in the Hilux': that's what the original idea was. Simple

Sorry, don't understand. Why would emissions be an issue?
I'd be going shell, just shell, no body control module or engine. That's why I didn't wanna put the 308 in the VX.

So, if I put the 308 in the Hilux, why not just chuck the VX boot/bonnet/quarter panels/doors/etc: the shell, on top?

Not doable?

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
It might be. I have a photo of one somewhere. It’s been done before. Thats why an engineer should be involved because it has to be registered as something and they will know what to register it as. There will be a tonne of engineering and certifications to be done.

I think a Hilux is an appealing car. They are sought after and a plane old Hilux with a 308 will be worth good money.

If you Frankenstein the two cars, it will be a hard car to have valued and insured. It will be a hard sell if you ever have to sell it.

xDJOHx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX/VZ
It might be. I have a photo of one somewhere. It’s been done before. Thats why an engineer should be involved because it has to be registered as something and they will know what to register it as. There will be a tonne of engineering and certifications to be done.

I think a Hilux is an appealing car. They are sought after and a plane old Hilux with a 308 will be worth good money.

If you Frankenstein the two cars, it will be a hard car to have valued and insured. It will be a hard sell if you ever have to sell it.
Yeah, right'o.
So I'd just need to send the Hilux/Commodore/308 to an engineer - put it all in his hands? No other assessments or any other hoops to jump through? Any idea where I'd start with all this? Any advice/pointers: much appreciated

Yeah original idea was just chuckin the 308 into the Hilux & getting it roadworthy. But, if I'm gonna go that far, why not chuck the Commo shell on top.

Don't really care about value/insurance. Just don't really wanna scrap Dads cars. I'd feel like a prick. I'd be pretty happy with a Frankenstein V8 4x4 Commodore/Hilux

*shrug*

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I’m kinda saying if you did put the Commodore on top, you are as good as scrapping the cars.

If they were just a couple of cars you found on a farm and had some spare time with no intention of registering them, then yeah why not.

Would be a shame to waste them.

Engineering isn’t a case of leaving it with someone. Engineers will advise you. They will guide you on what to do next. They’ll want certain techniques for modifying. Welding in certain ways and in particular places with particular gauge steel. They will want technical drawings done.

Then things have to be tested. Torsional tests are carried out.
Braking tests. Wheel weights etc. all those certifications cost a lot. An engineers time costs a lot.

You’ll need a huge budget.

Each state has vague info on registering and modifying vehicles. WA has good info and even that is vague until a consulting engineer is involved to make light of things. Thats going to cost.

A 308 in a Hilux ads value to a car that has a story for you. It doesn’t waste it.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Sorry for your loss. My condolences go to you and your family.

As @Fu Manchu said, it's best to put the 308 into the 80's Hilux body, and I reckon you should just keep the VX as a daily, or as a memory of your father... Putting the VX body onto the Hilux is impossible (or very very difficult) and not really worth it...

xDJOHx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX/VZ
Sorry for your loss. My condolences go to you and your family.

As @Fu Manchu said, it's best to put the 308 into the 80's Hilux body, and I reckon you should just keep the VX as a daily, or as a memory of your father... Putting the VX body onto the Hilux is impossible (or very very difficult) and not really worth it...
308/Hilux: yeah, think I'll go down that path Cheers for the perspective

Figured I'd be able to take Hilux/Commodore to engineer/panel beater/whoever - expensive, maybe, but no worries ... apparently not

xDJOHx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX/VZ
Dunno.
I like the idea of a V8, 4x4, Commodore.
*Lift kit
*Snorkel
*Bull bar