Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] Need help deciding on exhaust for supercharged V6

iaydemir

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Berlina
Hey guys,

I bought a Raptor stage 1 kit, waiting for it to come down from QLD.
Im trying to sort out other bits and pieces i need while it gets shipped.

Im stuck on what exhaust i should be getting..
I've been reading around a lot, and i can see two exhaust kits people generally go for.

1st - 3 into 1 extractors, single high flow cat, 3" pipe with centre muffler and resonator at the rear.
2nd - 3 into 1 extractors, twin high flow cats, twin 2.5" pipes with centre mufflers and single muffler at the rear depending on how loud you want the car. Seen some set-ups with no rear muffler at all.

Can anybody tell me if they have had experience with either of the two set up's on a supercharged 6?
Twin 2.5" too big? Or is a single 3" to restrictive?

I mean, its a lot more pricier for the twin system, but if its worth the gains im willing to do it.

Any input is appreciated.

Cheers,
Izzy

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I have fitted the twin system to a super 6 in a VT. Went really well, not too loud, no drone at all.

I went with 3-1 extractors, hi flow metal cats, and a twin 2 1/2" with mufflers and resonator. From memory it was around $2000.

The guy that owns it loves it.

iaydemir

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Berlina
I have fitted the twin system to a super 6 in a VT. Went really well, not too loud, no drone at all.

I went with 3-1 extractors, hi flow metal cats, and a twin 2 1/2" with mufflers and resonator. From memory it was around $2000.

The guy that owns it loves it.

Thanks mate, that's what i think i am leaning towards, i think the single cat system might be a bit too restrictive.
I've also got a decent local exhaust place that quoted me 1500 for the above set up.

Cheers

Kieran263

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais Wagon 6.0 A6
If you're worried about being over the top with the twin 2 1/2 the you could go twin 2 1/4.

Cashaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Bud, I had the same issue a few months back, I have a L67 S/C M90... I was told so many different things, but not an abba is right..

I am running twin custom made luminous steel 2.5" exhaust, 2x 100cpi, pacies 3:1, 2 mufflers... Mine is loud but has settled a lot from when I purchased it, when I am running more boost it will be more practical.

I was told by countless exhaust shops, run 1x 2.5", run twin 2 1/4, I was told run the same extractors and cats with just 2.25" catback exhaust.

I mean ok, all these guys have their own opinions, but when running a supercharger, I believe one guy said, twin 2.5" if you are pushing big power, and twin 2.25" is practical for leaving it above stock, but not off its head.

I am guessing you bought a S/C for big power plans... So my opinion is twin 2.5" with 3:1, it does not drone, and I was told the 3" will drone for sure.

I had a VT S Pack N/A with a redback 2.5" and it droned like ****.

My 2c, but your heading the right way with the twin 2.5" and 3:1's.

iaydemir

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Berlina
Bud, I had the same issue a few months back, I have a L67 S/C M90... I was told so many different things, but not an abba is right..

I am running twin custom made luminous steel 2.5" exhaust, 2x 100cpi, pacies 3:1, 2 mufflers... Mine is loud but has settled a lot from when I purchased it, when I am running more boost it will be more practical.

I was told by countless exhaust shops, run 1x 2.5", run twin 2 1/4, I was told run the same extractors and cats with just 2.25" catback exhaust.

I mean ok, all these guys have their own opinions, but when running a supercharger, I believe one guy said, twin 2.5" if you are pushing big power, and twin 2.25" is practical for leaving it above stock, but not off its head.

I am guessing you bought a S/C for big power plans... So my opinion is twin 2.5" with 3:1, it does not drone, and I was told the 3" will drone for sure.

I had a VT S Pack N/A with a redback 2.5" and it droned like ****.

My 2c, but your heading the right way with the twin 2.5" and 3:1's.

Thanks mate, the input's really appreciated.

I bought the stage 1 kit, so it would be close on 10PSI.
I've got high ratio roller rockers, 25mm plenum spacer, and other little performance bits and pieces.
But im also definitly going to grab a reverse plenum and go intercooled in the near future. (Up the boost).

Im going to agree with yourself and Abba.
Anybody mechanically minded has so far suggested the pacemaker 3 into 1's, high flow cats (100cpi) and twin 2.5" system, even if its a bit oversized by for the time being, i dont want to restrict it later on and fork out more money to go bigger.

Cheers,
Izzy

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
I have the raptor stage 1, but I've intercooled, cammed, whacked on a set of heads and done all of the bolt on modifications too. I run a set of redback extractors (modified to 2.5" secondaries) into a set of twin 200cpi cats (100 cpi are stupid loud and illegal), which then goes onto a 2.5" twin exhaust (manta). If you buy an off the shelf exhaust make sure it has an X pipe not an H pipe, as the H style sounds like **** when you start making boost.

Cashaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Hey One and only, the H style refers to the balancer pipe between the 2 exhausts or is that something else.

Also, what is the advantage of 200cpi to 100cpi, I would have thought 200cpi would actually have been illegal, but I myself do not know the difference as I let some exhaust guy have his way with my car :p.

200cpi allows more air to rush through??, and 100cpi does...

Thx bud be an education for all of us :)

iaydemir

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Berlina
Hey One and only, the H style refers to the balancer pipe between the 2 exhausts or is that something else.

Also, what is the advantage of 200cpi to 100cpi, I would have thought 200cpi would actually have been illegal, but I myself do not know the difference as I let some exhaust guy have his way with my car :p.

200cpi allows more air to rush through??, and 100cpi does...

Thx bud be an education for all of us :)

Na, you got them the wrong way around, 100cpi is higher flowing than the 200.

iaydemir

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Berlina
I have the raptor stage 1, but I've intercooled, cammed, whacked on a set of heads and done all of the bolt on modifications too. I run a set of redback extractors (modified to 2.5" secondaries) into a set of twin 200cpi cats (100 cpi are stupid loud and illegal), which then goes onto a 2.5" twin exhaust (manta). If you buy an off the shelf exhaust make sure it has an X pipe not an H pipe, as the H style sounds like **** when you start making boost.

Hey mate, the 200cpi are legal then?
Also, just out of curiousty have you had your car dynoed? What power is it making?

Cheers,
Izzy