Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My VS series 2 5.0 manual Ute

MIK85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Caprice 5.0
Painting engine covers is my next idea. Who’s done it? To be honest, I don’t want to stuff around with heaps of prep work, I’d be keen to just give ‘em a wash, maybe a light sand, and spray away. Do you need to use specific paint? Not convinced I actually want to do it or not, but I’m thinking I might…..

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Painting engine covers is my next idea. Who’s done it? To be honest, I don’t want to stuff around with heaps of prep work, I’d be keen to just give ‘em a wash, maybe a light sand, and spray away. Do you need to use specific paint? Not convinced I actually want to do it or not, but I’m thinking I might…..
What? If you don’t do the prep work you will just end up with a peeling cracked mess after some prolonged heat. Better not to do it.

Plasti primer then base coat. Then colour and clear.

If you don’t want to go to much effort, take them in to a panel shop and pay for a decent job. They’ll do it in 2pack clear to finish off.

MIK85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Caprice 5.0
Yeah I just worry that I’d rush it and end up ruining it. Might see if I can get some prices for getting them done

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Ok, you’ve all twisted my arm. Ordered some. Will post pics when they arrive
nj9vGP4.jpg

You'll love them, they really set a white car off.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Yeah I just worry that I’d rush it and end up ruining it. Might see if I can get some prices for getting them done
They are really something that you shouldn't need to rush as they don't affect the way the car runs so you can leave them off as long as it takes really.

If you were in SA I'd be happy to spray them for you.

Just take your time and make sure your working with a clean prepped surface, if you try and shoot the colour straight over the covers as they are it will last about 2 days before it cracks and peels.

The last set I sprayed the paint on the covers was really dry and crusty, I just used a brush on hose off paint stripper from bunnings to clean them up, then etch primed and sprayed. They're still holding up today (not on my car but a mates).

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6

Poor prep = poor result.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Yeah , spend the time , paint strip, clean, prep
Is mine ,= ( normal = acrylic ).
6 years on ,with a nice clean looks the same = expect for the bananas which are not as bright and the HSV on the OTR didn't last.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Yeah , spend the time , paint strip, clean, prep
Is mine ,= ( normal = acrylic ).
6 years on ,with a nice clean looks the same = expect for the bananas which are not as bright and the HSV on the OTR didn't last.

How did you paint the red bits ?

Syringe ?

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Oh and this
How did you paint the red bits ?

Syringe ?
I originally tried a syringe but didn't trust (= too much paint out = not enough control ) , so ended up being very patient ( taking heaps of time )and using a tiny detailers brush !!!!