Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My internet troubles

Redline16

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII SSV Redline Manual
Firefox doesn't come with extra crap so it won't be that. Unless someone had hacked the installer and put it on another website to fool people

shadetreemechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR v6
Obviously sounds like malware or at least adware.
What i do is i this:

Scan with malwarebytes (free)
Scan with hitmanpro (30 day trial)

After this 90% of the time its all cleaned.
If still infected then scan with kaspersky anti virus (trial) and with kaspersky tdss killer (free)
This second step should kill off some more nasty infections (eg. Root-kit)
If still not fixed then as they say "nuke it from orbit" and reinstall windows all fresh :bomb:

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
once done install some nice extensions like the aforementioned ad-block and some do not track stuff, probably won't help you avoid what you did but it will make your overall browsing experience better.

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
coupons drop down is a pain as it's hidden and usually piggybacked onto some other ,
had it once and had to uninstall a whole program to get rid of it.

It'd be in the latest thing you installed.

google search removing coupons and you'll get the latest.

Also download Chrome browser , go into attachments and then install Adblock and you'll surf painlessly.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
coupons drop down is a pain as it's hidden and usually piggybacked onto some other ,
had it once and had to uninstall a whole program to get rid of it.

It'd be in the latest thing you installed.

google search removing coupons and you'll get the latest.

Also download Chrome browser , go into attachments and then install Adblock and you'll surf painlessly.

Thanks mate,

I re-loaded malwarebytes and re-ran it. But I think this brought back 'dolphindeals' so let it finish it's search, deleted everything found, I also tried your advice and was disturbed about how much it was blocking. reset cpu, Still not right.
Opened program files, deleted any unfamiliar folders - especially those I knew as dodgy or that were only created in the last few days (even something I supposedly created at 1.30am yesterday :rofl: ) may have broken chrome while I was at it. Emptied recycle bin.
Deleted Firefox completely as I feel at may have been a bugged copy or something. I deleted shortcut to chrome.

Opened explorer and it was working as per normal at face value. Downloaded Chrome again (adblock is still there thankfully) and now (FINALLY!!) thinks seem to be relatively normal. I think I will live in chrome now instead of firefox. current adblock and adblock plus are showing current block of 2 & 5 respectively while I type this.

We will see how it all goes (I'm very close to burning this laptop and getting a new one. Or at least making it a garage tuning non internet laptop)
Thanks for everyones help so far.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Finally Fixed

The wife got sick of me complaining about my laptop, so we brought me a new one a week or so ago. Heaps faster than the 6yr old unit I had.
Also got Trend Micro home pack, loaded it on my new computer, wife's laptop and my old laptop. Cleaned up the old laptop a whole lot better than the other attempts. Cleaned out duplicate files and turned off some items for start up to speed it up.

I recommend Trend Micro if anyone else has issues like mine that need resolving.

All the best guys,
Michael