Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My internet troubles

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Hi all,

Sorry I'm not super awesome with the computers & internet, but if someone could help that would be great.
I updated to the latest version of Firefox the other day, not sure if it is related to this problem.
I now have "ad by CouponDropDown" ads jumping up on JC, hotmail, trademe etc and all common relatively 'clean' websites where this is not usually ever seen. If someone knows the cause, or even better the fix. I would really appreciate it.

computer takes longer to load pages (obviously because of this crap) and sometimes when clicking on things like emails to read, or JC threads it will pop up another window (which gets blocked) and open another browser to some dodgy crap.

I've tried a few things but with no luck, it's really annoying and almost worth not using internet for.

Cheers,
Deuce

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It would possibly be something additional that's installed along with the upgrade.

Go to the Control Panel - Programs and Features. This brings up a full list of software installed on your laptop. Click on the 'Installed on' header along the top of the list as this will show the items installed last and let us know what it shows as been installed recently. IF it shows anything referring to advertising just click on it and then click on un-install to get rid of it.

Failing that, bring your laptop with you when you come up and I'll have a quick look for you.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
It would possibly be something additional that's installed along with the upgrade.

Go to the Control Panel - Programs and Features. This brings up a full list of software installed on your laptop. Click on the 'Installed on' header along the top of the list as this will show the items installed last and let us know what it shows as been installed recently. IF it shows anything referring to advertising just click on it and then click on un-install to get rid of it.

Failing that, bring your laptop with you when you come up and I'll have a quick look for you.

FFS! I can't even click reply without a stupid effin extra window.

Thanks Immortality,
The last few items, top of the list: 'Dolphin deals' this will be the c**t.
I'll remove it and see how I go.
Also a few from the 17th I'll remove while I'm at it. funny how Microsoft security essentials didn't think anything of it.

Might be time for a new security thingy who.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
run a Malwarebytes scan, sounds like you installed some extension/plugin by accident/not reading something important before clicking yes install that junk into my browser.

don't select free trial at the end of the install, no need to.

https://www.malwarebytes.org/

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yep, I got caught once as well not reading the extra add-on that come as a combined package with some software :(

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
run a Malwarebytes scan, sounds like you installed some extension/plugin by accident/not reading something important before clicking yes install that junk into my browser.

don't select free trial at the end of the install, no need to.

https://www.malwarebytes.org/

What I tried didn't work. I'm giving yours a go now.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
It seems to be going alright, JC is looking alot better (still have 'good deals' slider coming in form the right, but the rest has cleared up)

Thanks to Mpower I have 32 items quarantined so far, and its mostly from a program called 'search protect' that I never wanted and somehow it appeared one day a while back.

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
I've downloaded the latest Firefox and haven't had any issues, I think you've picked up some form of malware.

I also run adblockplus in my firefox browser, tools - add ons - search for ABP and install

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Ran Malwarebytes last night and cleared over 300 items, most just suspicous, about 9 or 10 malicious.
Ran the scan again this morning with very similar results 311/13, except this time it appears to be from "quicksearchff" or something like that (also something I never wanted that just appeared one day) and a torrent search bar.
Cleared them all out and I think that I am back to normal. time will tell though.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Just reset system back 10days and so far the issue appears to FINALLY be fixed.
I may re-download malewarebytes though. as It seemed to speed my system up even if it didn't clear out all the problems.

The re-update Adobe and Mozzila. Wish me luck.