Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My HSV Clubsport

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
@HSV-Paul, have a search of the forum, or wait for someone with knowledge and experience to chime in. From my reading and limited understanding, is that those engine mounts are intended for very high horsepower applications and are too hard for road use, so will result in too much vibration in the car. I believe that the OEM (and another brand who made the OEM?) are the go for a road car. Some also mix and match and use one of those racing style on the mount that is under tension (when under high load), and a standard mount on the compression side.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
with all honesty the tuff mounts will make u complain about feeling all engine harmonics and noise, they are harsh ( i have some here now not being used as too harsh, got better ones) its not the movement thats bad but the LS engine has harsh harmonics that will go direct to chassis if not dampened

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
with all honesty the tuff mounts will make u complain about feeling all engine harmonics and noise, they are harsh ( i have some here now not being used as too harsh, got better ones) its not the movement thats bad but the LS engine has harsh harmonics that will go direct to chassis if not dampened
I had the Tuff Mounts for a while on my VX SS but the NVH was an issue on a street car/cruiser, I swapped them out for the Mace unbreakable mounts which are much easier to live with as they use a softer bushing, actually, I believe you can get 2 different softer versions, give them a call if your thinking of going that way

$220 for a pair

https://www.maceengineering.com.au/...ORT-VE-VF-LS2-LS3-LSA-SUPERCHARGED-60L-62L-V8

HSV-Paul

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Clubsport R8
OK thanks guys. With hindsight I guess I should've loosened em while I was doing the TM but all done now. Maybe next weekend I'll pull em out one at a time and have a look at them, prob split...

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
I had the Tuff Mounts for a while on my VX SS but the NVH was an issue on a street car/cruiser, I swapped them out for the Mace unbreakable mounts which are much easier to live with as they use a softer bushing, actually, I believe you can get 2 different softer versions, give them a call if your thinking of going that way

$220 for a pair

https://www.maceengineering.com.au/...ORT-VE-VF-LS2-LS3-LSA-SUPERCHARGED-60L-62L-V8
i ended up getting a set of these, also adjustable, they allow the engine to shake the car with the camshaft but take the annoying harmonics out of it

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Not sure why people spend money to actually get more noise vibration and harshness especially after they’ve already paid for the development effort to reduce NVH in their new car :rolleyes:

It’s like big brakes or gear change pauses in EV’s and such oddities that almost seem as logical as importing heathen celebrations into Christianity at its inception to make people feel comfortable with the new … :eek:

Each to their own I guess :cool:

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
Not sure why people spend money to actually get more noise vibration and harshness especially after they’ve already paid for the development effort to reduce NVH in their new car :rolleyes:

It’s like big brakes or gear change pauses in EV’s and such oddities that almost seem as logical as importing heathen celebrations into Christianity at its inception to make people feel comfortable with the new … :eek:

Each to their own I guess :cool:
a little NVH can go a long way :p

7CVm0ci.gif

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
https://www.joelsgaragegear.com.au/...gine-transmission-gearbox-support-beam-500kg/

These are the go for supporting the back of the engine when dropping a trans. I want to get one at some point but no idea when I will.
I've got a strut brace on my vt, when taking the trans out, l hang a ratchet strap from one side of the brace round the bottom of the engine & then back up to the brace.
It supports the engine while the trans is out.

On the other vt, no strut brace. So, lay a 6" x 2" (not exact) between the stut towers, then as above with a ratchet strap.