Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My HSV Clubsport

HSV-Paul

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Clubsport R8
Just been out to play video to the places I went earlier. One said I've definitely fucked the transmission. One said it sounded like the seal on the input shaft is rooted, one said $800 to strip down and he'll 100% find the problem.

I'm seriously considering putting it up on Facebook for a swap, see what I get offered. This car is killing me. I have no job, other issues I'll not mention, fallen out with my kids, and now this car. last time I felt this low I rode my motorbike into a roundabout at 100MPH and smashed my arms up. As I'm riding around atm these thoughts keep coming back but what can I do? Can't get in to see a psychiatrist for medication review and tbh the concoction of medication I take is seriously doing sweet FA.

Anyway, my problem so only I can fix it, not sure why I'm spouting this shite in here anyway. It's just a pity the only real answer I see atm is to run away from it all and hide, permanently.

**** my life sux

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Just been out to play video to the places I went earlier. One said I've definitely fucked the transmission. One said it sounded like the seal on the input shaft is rooted, one said $800 to strip down and he'll 100% find the problem.

I'm seriously considering putting it up on Facebook for a swap, see what I get offered. This car is killing me. I have no job, other issues I'll not mention, fallen out with my kids, and now this car. last time I felt this low I rode my motorbike into a roundabout at 100MPH and smashed my arms up. As I'm riding around atm these thoughts keep coming back but what can I do? Can't get in to see a psychiatrist for medication review and tbh the concoction of medication I take is seriously doing sweet FA.

Anyway, my problem so only I can fix it, not sure why I'm spouting this shite in here anyway. It's just a pity the only real answer I see atm is to run away from it all and hide, permanently.

**** my life sux

Hang in there. When facing something like this, I give myself a bit of a break from it. A little bit of time away from it allows my mind to become clearer. The one decision I usually make in the heat of the moment is not to make a decision. I’ll usually say to myself “don’t decide anything before (5 days from now)”.

Hang in there. Frustrating, yes. Annoying, yes. Bad timing, yes. But you’ll get through it. It’s all repairable.

HSV-Paul

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Clubsport R8
Hang in there. When facing something like this, I give myself a bit of a break from it. A little bit of time away from it allows my mind to become clearer. The one decision I usually make in the heat of the moment is not to make a decision. I’ll usually say to myself “don’t decide anything before (5 days from now)”.

Hang in there. Frustrating, yes. Annoying, yes. Bad timing, yes. But you’ll get through it. It’s all repairable.
Yeah reckon the oil pump IS damaged. One guy was saying did I get the 3 clicks when installing the converter. I dunno about clicks but I had it so far back it was catching slightly on the bell housing. OK stopped when pulled towards flex plate with bolts but am now wondering if the converter should've gone so far back it was rubbing on the housing, albeit just to start with. I know I should just put to one side but I can't it's eating away at me while I don't know what the go is. I have no work so might as well get the TM out for the 3rd time. One guy said if I get it to him he'll let me know what's wrong for $250. Replacing the oil pump doesn't seem too hard but I don't wanna buy and put it all back together again for it to still play up. Oil drops from where Bell housing meets the engine and brown not red makes me wonder if the main seal is leaking. GM complete plate and seal and fitted extremely carefully and as advised on a few youtube how to's but yeah I dunno any more.

Auto tranny dealer I phoned wants $800 for a SH one and $2100 for a re-con. Can't get to any of them prices altho he said hell take mine in part ex.

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON

**** my life sux
Hey Paul, I’ve been around a bit. Sometimes I get f@#ked off at your attitude towards others who are trying to give you advice, but I also understand that some people on this forum can be annoying, most definitely me:) I tend to say it like it is if I think someone is out of order.
No one knows what individuals go through when they have to deal with their inner demons. Inner demons are something I’ve struggled with for many years. Being able to acknowledge our frailties in this regard, and learning to accept who we are is all empowering.
You have to accept that people will give you the sh1ts now and then, but then you have to look at the good things in your life. If you don’t agree with some people, then just ignore them. After all, some people just like to poke the bear, and you don’t help your own cause when you make silly threats online, especially when most are out to help you.

It upsets me, as I’m sure it upsets others on here, to hear you talk as you do above. The car is just a car. Yes it’s a pain in the arse for you right now, but you shouldn’t let it consume you above everything else in your life. Take a step back and consider your priorities, your life, your wife, and your family, as they are far more important than a car.
Some years ago, I was feeling at a very low ebb, as I ruminated about my life and how sh1t things seemed to be. I then took stock and looked at all the good things I’d achieved and had. At the end of the day I decided that the positives far outweighed the negatives.

I wrote this poem back then, and every now and then I read it to get me back on track. Hopefully, you and others may find it a help. Good luck.

Attachments

• IMG_0307.jpeg
    IMG_0307.jpeg
    265 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Yes as above hang in there Bud , it is only a car .
You still have transport = a bike = don't do that wall thing again ( life is too short as it is ).
From memory you married last year ,so guessing she wants to spend the rest of your lives together and grow old together.
Take a break it will sort out= there will become a light at the end of the tunnel.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
So went to the local TM shops and spoke to a few people. All said it's highly unlikely I could bend an input shaft. More likely that the pump housing would collapse before the shaft bent. One guy asked if it vibrated when in park and I raise the RPM and I couldn't answer that but have come home and give it a try.

NOW it's making all kinds of horrid noises without even driving so this plot just thickens every day.

See what yous think...

Might be time to cut me losses and just sell it as is or wreck it. I don't have the money and am now starting to lose hope with it...

In a general sense, vibration of rotating stuff can be caused by anything. Stuff can get bent, balance weights can get knocked off, stuff can be a bit out of balance and get put in with the wrong clocking (compounding the unbalanced state or upsetting balanced assemblies), new stuff may be inherently out of balance, etc, etc … that’s why it’s important to mark clocking before removal, check new and old parts carefully for removed meta balance marks, etc, and be cautious during disassembly…

Then there is finding leftover stuff on the floor post repair, which always has me worried. Some just shrug shoulders and move on but I can’t do that which is why I laughed so much during the bolt throw scene in Ford v Ferrari. Hopefully you didn’t find a driveshaft balance weight on the ground.

But at the end of the day, some form of analysis is needed to try and isolate the problem part. As such, lifting the car (safely) and spinning it up while taking note of what’s shaking can help… just don’t rev it so that it bounces off the stands or get too close to spinning bits where it sucks a bit of your loose clothing in and all hell can break loose… vibrations can sometimes be seen but always felt… so using a stick to press against things when spinning can give hints as to what is shaking… again be very cautious when near spinning things…

Isolating the driveline by removing drive shaft will highlight if the driveshaft is contributing to the shake. Isolating the gearbox is harder with an auto so not sure what can be done other than remove the flex plate bolts and pushing the TC towards the transmission and fixing it away from the flex plate, then see if it still grinds when the engine is spinning.

As to the TC, the inner gearbox spline spins while the outer is fixed. These two spines are the two clicks people refer to as they locate to the bits inside the TC. The third click is the TC snout engaging with the oil pump. But I’ve got no experience with auto trans so can’t say what would be damaged and how to check for damage if you hang the box from the TC when bolted to the flex plate.

One other thing I’ve seen mentioned in YouTube videos is to apply a thin bit of grease on the front TC boss that goes up against the flex plate as that can cause noise and wear leading to vibrations. You’ve probably seen similar videos.

The other thing I’ve experienced is the honeycomb within the catalytic converter can fracture if you’ve dropped the exhaust. Fractured honeycomb can sound like a bucket of bolts when the engine is rev‘d. Also, exhaust manifolds can leak adding more noise to the mix…

Add as such a bunch of small conditions together and all these sounds end up seeming much worse together…

Obviously any transmission business will always say you booked it and will want to strip things down as they have to guarantee their work. But don’t be disheartened, take a break, decompress and then start to methodically look at each thing you’ve touched and check it’s ok. Also get a one meter section of garden hose and use it as a stethoscope to listen to the sounds at idle… hopefully you can quickly work out where the sound is coming from and where it’s not…

Basically I’d be checking every part I touched from the starter motor, exhaust & manifold, driveshaft, transmission, TC & flex plate… and slowly working through the problem… It can be a PITA but little by little you’ve been converting what wasn’t very nice to something approaching a nice car (once all the bugs are ironed out). Just take your time and don’t focus on it 100% at gne exclusion of other things…

Me, I’m thinking a dropped cat converter and fractured honeycomb within or a stuffed second hand TC… How one tests a used TC is usable I’ve got no idea but in my youth I knew others who did TC mods included pulling them apart and brazing all the vanes within as they can loosen and rattle… so I wonder whether the second hand TC had a hard life with lots of full power launches and is showing the results of such owner punishment. Who knows…

HSV-Paul

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Clubsport R8
Hey Paul, I’ve been around a bit. Sometimes I get f@#ked off at your attitude towards others who are trying to give you advice, but I also understand that some people on this forum can be annoying, most definitely me. I tend to say it like it is if I think someone is out of order.
No one knows what individuals go through when they have to deal with their inner demons. Inner demons are something I’ve struggled with for many years. Being able to acknowledge our frailties in this regard, and learning to accept who we are is all empowering.
You have to accept that people will give you the sh1ts now and then, but then you have to look at the good things in your life. If you don’t agree with some people, then just ignore them. After all, some people just like to poke the bear, and you don’t help your own cause when you make silly threats online, especially when most are out to help you.

It upsets me, as I’m sure it upsets others on here, to hear you talk as you do above. The car is just a car. Yes it’s a pain in the arse for you right now, but you shouldn’t let it consume you above everything else in your life. Take a step back and consider your priorities, your life, your wife, and your family, as they are far more important than a car.
Some years ago, I was feeling at a very low ebb, as I ruminated about my life and how sh1t things seemed to be. I then took stock and looked at all the good things I’d achieved and had. At the end of the day I decided that the positives far outweighed the negatives.

I wrote this poem back then, and every now then I read it to get me back on track. Hopefully, you and others may find it a help. Good luck.
Thanks heaps for this. I've saved the poem to my phone and will use as my mantra and read every morning... :)

HSV-Paul

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Clubsport R8
In a general sense, vibration of rotating stuff can be caused by anything. Stuff can get bent, balance weights can get knocked off, stuff can be a bit out of balance and get put in with the wrong clocking (compounding the unbalanced state or upsetting balanced assemblies), new stuff may be inherently out of balance, etc, etc … that’s why it’s important to mark clocking before removal, check new and old parts carefully for removed meta balance marks, etc, and be cautious during disassembly…

Then there is finding leftover stuff on the floor post repair, which always has me worried. Some just shrug shoulders and move on but I can’t do that which is why I laughed so much during the bolt throw scene in Ford v Ferrari. Hopefully you didn’t find a driveshaft balance weight on the ground.

But at the end of the day, some form of analysis is needed to try and isolate the problem part. As such, lifting the car (safely) and spinning it up while taking note of what’s shaking can help… just don’t rev it so that it bounces off the stands or get too close to spinning bits where it sucks a bit of your loose clothing in and all hell can break loose… vibrations can sometimes be seen but always felt… so using a stick to press against things when spinning can give hints as to what is shaking… again be very cautious when near spinning things…

Isolating the driveline by removing drive shaft will highlight if the driveshaft is contributing to the shake. Isolating the gearbox is harder with an auto so not sure what can be done other than remove the flex plate bolts and pushing the TC towards the transmission and fixing it away from the flex plate, then see if it still grinds when the engine is spinning.

As to the TC, the inner gearbox spline spins while the outer is fixed. These two spines are the two clicks people refer to as they locate to the bits inside the TC. The third click is the TC snout engaging with the oil pump. But I’ve got no experience with auto trans so can’t say what would be damaged and how to check for damage if you hang the box from the TC when bolted to the flex plate.

One other thing I’ve seen mentioned in YouTube videos is to apply a thin bit of grease on the front TC boss that goes up against the flex plate as that can cause noise and wear leading to vibrations. You’ve probably seen similar videos.

The other thing I’ve experienced is the honeycomb within the catalytic converter can fracture if you’ve dropped the exhaust. Fractured honeycomb can sound like a bucket of bolts when the engine is rev‘d. Also, exhaust manifolds can leak adding more noise to the mix…

Add as such a bunch of small conditions together and all these sounds end up seeming much worse together…

Obviously any transmission business will always say you booked it and will want to strip things down as they have to guarantee their work. But don’t be disheartened, take a break, decompress and then start to methodically look at each thing you’ve touched and check it’s ok. Also get a one meter section of garden hose and use it as a stethoscope to listen to the sounds at idle… hopefully you can quickly work out where the sound is coming from and where it’s not…

Basically I’d be checking every part I touched from the starter motor, exhaust & manifold, driveshaft, transmission, TC & flex plate… and slowly working through the problem… It can be a PITA but little by little you’ve been converting what wasn’t very nice to something approaching a nice car (once all the bugs are ironed out). Just take your time and don’t focus on it 100% at gne exclusion of other things…

Me, I’m thinking a dropped cat converter and fractured honeycomb within or a stuffed second hand TC… How one tests a used TC is usable I’ve got no idea but in my youth I knew others who did TC mods included pulling them apart and brazing all the vanes within as they can loosen and rattle… so I wonder whether the second hand TC had a hard life with lots of full power launches and is showing the results of such owner punishment. Who knows…
All garages I went to today said as long as the tailshaft is on the right way, which actual 3 bolt holes I use is immaterial as they have rubber bushes or to that effect, just need to all be tight so I'm ruling out the tailshaft, altho it'll obv come off and go back on again so will see. I know wreckers will tell you anything but the car the TC converter came from was there and had loads of panel damage at the rear, engine has been sold with no come backs, but yeah taken with salt really.

When I took this video back to play to all...

In case you missed it, they all said as you'd imagine they need to see it, open it up and all the rest but all did think it was the oil pump or housing. All said I'd struggle to bend an input shaft and never seen one bent, but to crack / damage the oil pump housing would be what they'd put money on.

I have a job interview in the morning and after I'm gonna pull the TM again. I've seen a good youtube of taking the 6l80 apart fully and it honestly doesn't seem much to get to the oli pump and housing. Hopefully I see its cracked or damaged and then I can work on replacement. If it all looks good I can drop it off to the guy who said he'll find out whats gone for $250, prob my best plan of action for now...

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
All garages I went to today said as long as the tailshaft is on the right way, which actual 3 bolt holes I use is immaterial as they have rubber bushes or to that effect, just need to all be tight so I'm ruling out the tailshaft, altho it'll obv come off and go back on again so will see. I know wreckers will tell you anything but the car the TC converter came from was there and had loads of panel damage at the rear, engine has been sold with no come backs, but yeah taken with salt really.

When I took this video back to play to all...

In case you missed it, they all said as you'd imagine they need to see it, open it up and all the rest but all did think it was the oil pump or housing. All said I'd struggle to bend an input shaft and never seen one bent, but to crack / damage the oil pump housing would be what they'd put money on.

I have a job interview in the morning and after I'm gonna pull the TM again. I've seen a good youtube of taking the 6l80 apart fully and it honestly doesn't seem much to get to the oli pump and housing. Hopefully I see its cracked or damaged and then I can work on replacement. If it all looks good I can drop it off to the guy who said he'll find out whats gone for $250, prob my best plan of action for now...
Whats happening with the video?
Sounds like you are trying to change gears or get it into gear from neutral or park?