Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Manual vy v6 power question

Jvella95

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden commodore vy v6
So I have a 2003 vy commodore v6 3.8ltr now she's factory manual
So my question is in finding with take off that it takes a good 2 - 3 secs to build up revs from zero and I was wondering if there was any a way to improve that building of rpm so I can get to 2nd quicker
Should mention she's stock as a rock
I know cold air intake ❄ but what one?
I don't want a loud car so exhaust isn't what I'm looking for so what else can I do

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Have a look at the mace website mate heaps of good stuff on there including cold intakes, you could do a intake, ecu tune, hi ratio rockers, plenum spacer and the list goes on depending on how much you want to spend, you’d definitely benefit from extractors and exhaust if you can get a good quiet system

Jvella95

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden commodore vy v6
Have a look at the mace website mate heaps of good stuff on there including cold intakes, you could do a intake, ecu tune, hi ratio rockers, plenum spacer and the list goes on depending on how much you want to spend, you’d definitely benefit from extractors and exhaust if you can get a good quiet system
Cheers yeh I just don't want the attention you get from the red a blue but I want really good and quick take off power without going over my ristictions as I'm a p plater

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Upping your diff ratio is an easy way to increase acceleration. Mace has some great stuff, but short of their stroker kits (or boost) you're not going to get a significant kick in the pants with unopened Eco mods

Jvella95

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden commodore vy v6
Yeh but dosnt that lower your top speed putting higher raito gears in

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Yeh but dosnt that lower your top speed putting higher raito gears in
Yes not significantly tho, it does make it better all around with pickup throttle response etc and you can actually get better fuel economy too if you don’t go crazy with ratio choice

Jvella95

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden commodore vy v6
What would you suggest then as I dont know much about raito sizing and all that all I know is my car currently can go up to 70 in 3rd and still only be sitting on 3.5 grand and I can ride 100 in 4th with it sitting on 2.5 grand so pretty much shift time

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
You have zero chance of getting close to your theoretical top speed in an Eco. The only thing you'd notice is higher revs cruising but it's not much of a muchness

Pretty sure she's a 3.4 stock. 3.9 would be a good go to

Jvella95

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden commodore vy v6
Thanks mate and I already know my top speed bro I don't need it to go too speed I just dont want to be stuck at 120...... And higher revs arnt to bad just have to change quicker but that's exactly what I'm looking for just a bit more jump at the start line I guess you say