Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mace M80 LSD diff

00SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VT SS S2
I've got an M78 in my 94 and can't fault it.
I would suggest taking out your M80 and getting your local mob to give it the once over, then throw it back up in there and away you go.
Where abouts in NZ are you?

There’s not a lot of love for the factory diff that’s for sure. One of my concerns with the Truetrac and similar style is getting caught out from the near zero-traction condition where there is no torque transfer.
Does a properly functioning factory unit behave the same?

00SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VT SS S2
Ok, I am leaning towards a truetrac or similar based on various recommendations and my research.

In terms of functionality, are there any downsides compared with the factory cone lsd? As above I am weary of being caught out with it suddenly opening up if hitting a zero-traction surface

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Zero traction surface would be ice or putting 1 wheel in mud when the other is on bitumen.

Been driving a truetrac for a few years, rain or shine and never had any issues.

Functionality, when you nail the throttle the rear locks up and you leave 2 black lines.

00SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VT SS S2
Zero traction surface would be ice or putting 1 wheel in mud when the other is on bitumen.

Been driving a truetrac for a few years, rain or shine and never had any issues.

Functionality, when you nail the throttle the rear locks up and you leave 2 black lines.

Thanks that’s reassuring, I just don’t want to compromise on safety!

02Monaro

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 Series 1 V2 Monaro
As above I am weary of being caught out with it suddenly opening up if hitting a zero-traction surface
Once it's locked it's locked. I don't think it's actually possible for it to single or unlock once you lose traction. You always know if it's going to spin, both wheels will spin, inline the factory lsd which is unpredictable.

00SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VT SS S2
Right I’m set on just replacing my center, now back to the original question of the Mace vs Trutrac. The Mace is half the price here but I am happy to pay for the better product.

00SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VT SS S2
So I pulled the trigger on the Truetrac. Really happy with the work done, and even some of the driveline clunks that I had with the factory centre are gone!

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Did you choose the Mace Chinese Trutrac or the Eaton?