Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mace M80 LSD diff

00SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VT SS S2
Hi guys,

I’m looking to overhaul my factory VTII SS diff before getting a mild tune, as although there is no significant issues now, I want to ensure longevity and performance post 180k kms!

Has anyone had experience with the Mace Engineering Torque-Lock center? I am wondering how these differ from the Harrop units as they are much cheaper here in NZ.

Alternatively, am I better off just getting an overhaul of the factory LSD?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Torque Lock are rubbish. Harrop are a lot better. Don't buy Mace gears either as they too are junk.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Have we actually had any feedback from someone who's used em?

00SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VT SS S2
Yes, would be great to get some feedback based on real world experience.

Otherwise I will consider just an overhaul on the factory lsd, as you pay through the roof here for Harrop’s!

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'm going by what my diff builder told me. Presumably he has seen them used.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Diff builder also wants to sell you the parts that make him the most profit, after all, he talked you into a KAAZ diff.

I'd like to hear from people who have actually used said parts.

Yes, would be great to get some feedback based on real world experience.

Otherwise I will consider just an overhaul on the factory lsd, as you pay through the roof here for Harrop’s!

For the M80 you can get the Eaton Truetrac or the Harrop Truetrac as well as a host of other brands with variations on the Truetrac name. The Harrop is considerably more costly and overkill unless you have a real stout motor in front of it.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Diff builder also wants to sell you the parts that make him the most profit, after all, he talked you into a KAAZ diff.
Considering he is a mate and gave a me a really good price, I'm not sure he was out to make the most profit he could.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
He could have supplied me gears too but I bought from another supplier as he couldn't match the price and he was fine with that.

02Monaro

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 Series 1 V2 Monaro
I've had an Eaton trutrac in my previous car and now have a kaaz. I only have the kaaz as I got it cheap second hand. I couldn't fault the trutrac and it was perfect on the road. The kaaz is great but I wouldn't pay the premium for it if I was buying new unless I was track racing(as oppsed to drag racing). The torque lock is basically the same as the trutrac so it should be ok as long as it's strong enough.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Hi guys,

I’m looking to overhaul my factory VTII SS diff before getting a mild tune, as although there is no significant issues now, I want to ensure longevity and performance post 180k kms!

Has anyone had experience with the Mace Engineering Torque-Lock center? I am wondering how these differ from the Harrop units as they are much cheaper here in NZ.

Alternatively, am I better off just getting an overhaul of the factory LSD?
I've got an M78 in my 94 and can't fault it.
I would suggest taking out your M80 and getting your local mob to give it the once over, then throw it back up in there and away you go.
Where abouts in NZ are you?