Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS3 Oil pump failure?

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
No im not wrong,depends alot on the dealer,i had a mate who worked at the biggest holden/hsv dealer here in perth,they never rebuilt motors,lucky to even replace 1 piston assembly in a knocking/rattling ls motor,ls1 were really bad when they first came out,im not making my statement from 1 instance of 1 single motor,the stories i heard come out of that place would make your skin crawl,i have never heard of holden paying a machine shop to rebuild a motor til you mentioned it... Id almost hazard a guess and say they couldnt source a new motor and had no choice but to get it rebuilt.
Cant even remember how many stories i got told of dodgy engine fixes from that place,certainly more than 1 thats for sure.
Dont go getting your hopes up for a full engine rebuild,might be like the majority with a dodgy ls3 and just have to live with it...
I pursposely didnt get an ls3 because of the inherant issues they have.
Id love to know how many out there have had independent workshops rebuild their ls3 instructed by holden under holden warranty?
I don't disagree with a lot of what you've said. The engine bloke here said he's done a handful of LS's but all for paying customers. No doubt another motor is likely a cheaper solution for them and it keeps the news/problems in-house rather than farm the bad news out to engine builders and their staff. Engine builder in Os park said he couldn't even count how many LS1's he fully rebuilt as warranty jobs - i've used him and he's super thorough - no dodgey stuff. That said, I bet lots of suss **** goes down at the dealerships - all underpinned by the manufacturer trying not to pay whenever and wherever they can. The dealers don't give a toss mate - the more warranty work, the more money they make. I've got a great relationship with any of the dealers I use. None of the warranty decisions are made by them - regardless of how much you bang on about ACL

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I assume it would be difficult prooving that the engine should not be so noisy at X killometers. Like hiw do you quantify the noise? Do you use a decibel scale?
Prove to whom, someone who has ears (like a judge at small claims) or someone who suffers industrial deafness (like a dealer mechanic) :p