Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS3 Oil pump failure?

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
So one of Perth's longest running performance type workshops has put his left nut on my noisy engine being a fractured oil pump gear - which is interesting given the dealership has conceded it's piston slap. It hasn't been pulled down and Holden is in front of the mag at the minute. I suppose all that I can expect now is that there is an order made for them to strip inspect and remedy the issue. No engine warning lights for pressure issues etc.

Does anyone have any evidence - factual or anecdotally of these pumps failing and what the symptoms are? The local engine builder told me he's done a handful of VF LS3's for slap and then the race mechanic tells me he's replaced at least 4 pumps on low kms LS3's!

Interestingly, the builder said that the pistons have a short skirt, and as such a propensity to move sideways in the bore, wearing the teflon coating off the skirts and causing the slappy knocky noise.

Talk about throwing a curve ball - cheers guys

Last edited:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I thought oil pump gear failure was a Barra thing, sticky relief valves on early LS's?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
So given that piston slap is a thing with these LS3’s, I’d probably be more inclined to get a new engine which would resolve the broken oil pump :p

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Does the noise go away when engine is at operating temperature?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
The piston slap is due to loose tolerances of the pistons, rings, pins and the bore finish.
If the engine is built right you don't get these issues.

As for the oil pump, don't know I've never dealt with a cracked gerotor before.

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
yeh, this golden oldie reckons its the fracture closing as the engine gets warm and it then making pressure to shut the lifters up... what a clown. I actually don't know why I bothered with him. He's absolutely got the worst diagnostics ability in the entire state. He sent my 383 out of his shop with the weighted flex 180 degrees out of alignment when it was there with a complaint for massive engine vibration which had sheered the last bell in half with previous owners shitty workmanship (diesel mechanic)

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
The piston slap is due to loose tolerances of the pistons, rings, pins and the bore finish.
If the engine is built right you don't get these issues.

As for the oil pump, don't know I've never dealt with a cracked gerotor before.
engine builder was telling me the compression ring is so damn tight and the skirt is so short that the bottom of the piston moves sideways and flogs the teflon coating off which is the cause of the noise - in his opinion

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
it goes away well before operating temp. it's gone after 2 mins on the coldest morning and sometime as quickly as 30 seconds but it does it every single cold start. never on restart - even if it's sat for 6 hours

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
it goes away well before operating temp. it's gone after 2 mins on the coldest morning and sometime as quickly as 30 seconds but it does it every single cold start. never on restart - even if it's sat for 6 hours
My Redline does the same thing. My mechanic said it's piston slap. It is much quieter with fresh oil for a few weeks.