Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden dealers offering "in house" walkinshaw upgrades.

Bardygrub

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ba fairlane
Hi All,

I have been looking into purchasing either HSV or Holden car for the past 2 ish years. Up until the release of the series 2 ssv redline, I was set on a clubbie or Gts with the w507 or w375 upgrades respectively.

When looking at the walkinshaw upgrades, it came to my attention that ( I'm in vic ) that there are only a handful of dealers listed on walkinshaws website, with hp-f being there biggest dealer in Vic.

But since seeing a few Holden dealers of late, (with the release of the ls3 in the ssv redline, and adding peddlers coil overs, w375 and may be a light cam just for the sound) and them to include some walkinshaw upgrades...they have all offered me in house upgrades and say they are under warranty. They say their guys have been to walkinshaw for training ect ect. I asked my local dealer how many walkinshaw upgrades they have done..his reply was "oh a hanful!".

My questions are;
Would you have a Holden dealer do your upgrades?

Are they allowed to do it? As there is nothing on walkinshaws website to say they are.

Cheers.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Depends on how much faith you have in the ability of the 'technicians' (or whatever they refer to them as) to do the job. A lot of dealer Workshops do not employ a lot of fully qualified and experienced Mechanics although they will charge you full hourly rates etc.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
The w375 package consists of extractors, hi flow cats, cold air intake and a retune on the dyno if I remember correctly.
I don't think your local dealership would have a dyno , let alone anyone with the experience to tune it after the upgrades.
My way of thinking is:
Your dealership could fit the parts as any workshop could, but then they would have to send it out to be tuned.
To many people playing around with your car in my opinion.
Having worked at a dealership many years ago, it soon became obvious that most employees (not all but a lot of em) don't give 2 f#@ks about your vehicle, all they want to do is rush the job so that can take your car for a test drive and thrash the **** out of it.
The common term for the test drive after a service/repair was "Test Floggin"

If it was me and my hard earned being spent
I would get the whole job done at my nearest authorised Walkinshaw Workshop. HP-F as you suggested for example

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Meh, the Wankingshaw tune is a generic flash anyway (safe parameters preloaded and then run on the dyno to check for misses/fuel issues) other than that its a simple bolt this here and drive out. With that being said, part of the price is that check on the dyno, which your dealership wont and cant do, nor can they make any changes, plus your "Hey Ive got a Wankingshaw 375" Dyno printout.

I love how hard theyre trying to peddle this crap. Now theyve got it in house ha.

Bardygrub

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ba fairlane
Sorry for the late reply guys.

Think I'll keep with hp-f.

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
Meh, the Wankingshaw tune is a generic flash anyway (safe parameters preloaded and then run on the dyno to check for misses/fuel issues) other than that its a simple bolt this here and drive out. With that being said, part of the price is that check on the dyno, which your dealership wont and cant do, nor can they make any changes, plus your "Hey Ive got a Wankingshaw 375" Dyno printout.

I love how hard theyre trying to peddle this crap. Now theyve got it in house ha.

The Tune shop doing mine assured me they tune every Walknstick package individually. But I guess I will never know. As long as it drives well and lights up in second I'll be happy.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
The Tune shop doing mine assured me they tune every Walknstick package individually. But I guess I will never know. As long as it drives well and lights up in second I'll be happy.

Dont kid yourself. Most tuners have a generic "upload this" tune based on whats been done.

The Walkinshaw one is just that. Tune based on what theyve slapped on every car. From there, when its on the dyno, they check for fuel and spark issues and adjust accordingly.

Ive said it a million times, their marketing department are the MVP of the VE/VF sales. Taking what every other tuner does, slap 2k extra on it and mention the word "warranty" and people flop out their wallets.

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375

OzTurtle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II Redline
Picked up my VF2 Redline on the 23rd with the Walkinshaw W375 fitted pre-delivery, which was done by HP-F, not at the dealer. I'd double check with whoever you buy through, as I believe here in Vic all Walkinshaw packs are done with HP-F. So far I've done just under 500 k's and it gets better every time I drive it, you will love the upgrade, highly recommend it.

Bardygrub

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ba fairlane
Picked up my VF2 Redline on the 23rd with the Walkinshaw W375 fitted pre-delivery, which was done by HP-F, not at the dealer. I'd double check with whoever you buy through, as I believe here in Vic all Walkinshaw packs are done with HP-F. So far I've done just under 500 k's and it gets better every time I drive it, you will love the upgrade, highly recommend it.

Although I have spoken to several Holden dealers, I have concentrated on my local dealer (north east Vic) as this is who I will be doing the purchase with. He has assured me they receive the car from Elizabeth SA they take out the ecu send it to walkinshaw, walkinshaw do the upgrade of the ecu then send it back with the otr cat back exhaust and it's all fitted at the dealer.

I'd like to know more of how you got it all done at Hpf prior to delivery, as I also want to get some small vinyl wraps that Hpf have done on other cars. Also I'd rather Hpf to do it and have it done prior to delivery.