Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Garage Hoists.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
Yeah that's what I'm leaning too.

Just gave them a call, they supply 3 phase option at no extra cost, bonus.

All the hoist guys have told me that 3 phase limits my options if I want to sell the hoist. Given I can't really see that happening I think it's a non-issue.

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak

All the hoist guys have told me that 3 phase limits my options if I want to sell the hoist. Given I can't really see that happening I think it's a non-issue.
ignore that, they still snap them up.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
ignore that, they still snap them up.
Just like second hand industrial machine tools now that VFD's are readily available.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition

I’m a city dweller who doesn't have 3 phase running down my street so can’t have it even if I want it…

So I‘d make 100% sure you can actually get 3 phase connected and how much extra (if any) that may cost.

Obviously, ignore if you already have 3 phase connected.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I’m a city dweller who doesn't have 3 phase running down my street so can’t have it even if I want it…

So I‘d make 100% sure you can actually get 3 phase connected and how much extra (if any) that may cost.

Obviously, ignore if you already have 3 phase connected.
You can run 3 phase equipment at home with a single phase supply.
Either a rotary phase convertor, or a variable frequency drive. The VFD is more efficient and more readily available these days.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I thought most decent size heat pumps are three phase. I didn't realise it's not something you can do at the meter box by installing a three phase capable meter?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
You can run 3 phase equipment at home with a single phase supply.
Either a rotary phase convertor, or a variable frequency drive. The VFD is more efficient and more readily available these days.
In my case I wanted a larger whole house AC and needed 3 phase but couldn’t get it so installed an ~8kw (30A) unit which I was told was the biggest they could install on my single phase supply. I must admit I didn’t look into it in further detail as full house AC was a crazy price…

No idea what a 3 phase hoist consumes power wise but the whole idea of 3 phase is that you can suck more power in from the 3 phase llines running down the street. If you use a VFD you’d still be limited to what the single phase can supply (30A per circuit?) or what the VFD can itself can supply, whichever is the lowest.

OldBomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I have enough garage, just not height. We have 3 phase that the air conditioner & bore are connected to.

Last edited:

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
Yeah we have 3 phase at the house and it's in the shed too which I wanted as an added attraction in case we sell up. Benefits of semi-rural Brisbane 16 km from CBD!

Our aircons are three phase.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
In my case I wanted a larger whole house AC and needed 3 phase but couldn’t get it so installed an ~8kw (30A) unit which I was told was the biggest they could install on my single phase supply. I must admit I didn’t look into it in further detail as full house AC was a crazy price…

No idea what a 3 phase hoist consumes power wise but the whole idea of 3 phase is that you can suck more power in from the 3 phase llines running down the street. If you use a VFD you’d still be limited to what the single phase can supply (or what the VFD can supply, whichever is the lowest)…
Single phase hoist only draws about 10a. So going three phase will be similar I'd imagine.