Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Galaxy S5 vs HTC One M8

ZZ3R0.

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi MN Triton GLX & 1990 VN Calais
G'day Guys,

Just want to see what peoples opinions are on the Galaxy S5 and the HTC One M8. My Galaxy S2 is due to be replaced soon and I can't decide between the S5 or the One M8. I have read quite a few reviews and both seem to be pretty good.
Cheers! :beer chug:

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Both are good. Out of those two, I'd go for the HTC and replace the Sense with Apex. If you go for the Samsung, I'd also replace TouchWiz with Apex. I have an S4 and Apex shits on everything when it comes to decent launchers.

BUT!!!!! Consider the Google Nexus 5. It doesn't have the speakers of the HTC but it's PURE Android and is absolutely the best value for money handset on the market. With no manufacturer or carrier "bloatware" and updates as soon as Google release them, I personally think it beats the others. It's a slight compromise on performance, screen quality and the speakers of the HTC can't be matched. But in terms of real work use, I can't go past it. About to buy myself one and replace the Mrs iPhone 5S with my S4. :D

Food for thought. Cheers!

Wongy295

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 (LPG)
I'm sure the S5 will get the Cyanogenmod treatment soon enough (it'll be another story if the 4 month + wait for the Note III is anything to go by.)

The HTC is a sexy sexy phone. I'd go for it over the S5. I may be slightly bias as I've had an S2, Note 2 and Note 3 and am starting to get over the Samsung experience. (I would kill for a stable ROM!)

As for the Nexus 5, I mostly agree. My partner has a Nexus 4 and it's fantastic. Besides the abysmal camera and average, at best, battery life. Wireless charging is quite cool, if slow. Pure android is smooth as butter.

Hopefully they have addressed those issues.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Both are good. Out of those two, I'd go for the HTC and replace the Sense with Apex. If you go for the Samsung, I'd also replace TouchWiz with Apex. I have an S4 and Apex shits on everything when it comes to decent launchers.

BUT!!!!! Consider the Google Nexus 5. It doesn't have the speakers of the HTC but it's PURE Android and is absolutely the best value for money handset on the market. With no manufacturer or carrier "bloatware" and updates as soon as Google release them, I personally think it beats the others. It's a slight compromise on performance, screen quality and the speakers of the HTC can't be matched. But in terms of real work use, I can't go past it. About to buy myself one and replace the Mrs iPhone 5S with my S4. :D

Food for thought. Cheers!
lol, you always give your wife your hand me downs?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I will get my new S5 on Tuesday so yay. I only went for it because there is a absolute heap of mods over at xda-developers for the S4 and I hope the S5 will be the same. Can't wait to do all the same stuff to the S5.

And LOL at the news that ChainFire was given a S5 before release from Samsung to develop the CF-Auto-Root program to include the S5.

ZZ3R0.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for all the feedback guys!

Me and the mrs went to telstra last night (she upgraded her iphone 4s to a galaxy s5 lol). Had a bit of a play with both and also the nexus. Not a huge fan of the nexus due to the hardware (its a bit "eh"). I LOVED the HTC! As for the galaxy, I agree with Wongy295. Its just a bit more of the same. So now I play the waiting game until my contract is due for renewal. At least its in july. Telstra wouldnt waive my fees to upgrade early :(

VBhero

Reaction score
Website
www.australia4wd.com
Members Ride
VXII SS A4
I'm contemplating the same thing at the moment. I currently have an S3, and it works well with my Sammy TV etc... but I do like the look of the M8, the speakers in the M8 etc all are a big plus for me. BUT
The S5 is water and dust proof. That is the deal maker for me... if the HTC was also, then I probably would have gone the M8.

ZZ3R0.

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm contemplating the same thing at the moment. I currently have an S3, and it works well with my Sammy TV etc... but I do like the look of the M8, the speakers in the M8 etc all are a big plus for me. BUT
The S5 is water and dust proof. That is the deal maker for me... if the HTC was also, then I probably would have gone the M8.

Yeah I have an S3 but i smashed the screen due to early morning anger lol. So i borrowed an s2 of my dad.

Speakers are a pretty big deal for me whereas I dont see water and dust proof as an important thing. Each to their own I guess :)

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
Just a thing on the Apex launcher, I agree that it is a good launcher but I've found that Holo Launcher HD is a little bit nicer in my opinion, similar in some respects though. Might be worth looking at :). Holo has a free and paid version, I just have the free one because it's good enough.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I didn't get the S5 for the specs, I got it for the modding support.

My S5 now rocks, Root, Philz Mod, and now Omega 1.4, and Nova Launcher. Now to get no sleep and to make it mine.