Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel injectors

DrownInMilo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr statesman
Hey guys, got a vr 5l with suspect at least one bad injector. Will I be able to get away with putting 650cc Injectors in as long as I don’t upgrade the fuel rail or pump? When I bought the “new” motor for it it came with a race works rail and bigger injectors i was told 650s that I have laying around as I put my standard fuel setup on

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
Feels like every time I see a post about changing injectors on the 5L it’s followed by changing back after issues.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
No, the injector flow rates, opening times etc all need to be changed in the tune. The ECU determines the calibration for the injectors, not the fuel pump/regulator.

You'll likely find it won't start at all as it will just flood the engine if they are too big, if it does run it will foul the plugs pretty much immediately.

I went from standard injectors to bluetops which are only 24lb over the standard 19 or so and I needed to do a fair bit of tuning to get it all happy.

650cc is 60lb, which is a big jump from the factory 19lb the standard injectors run, I'd be reasonably confident the engine wouldn't even start.

Last edited:

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
This is a list of Holden injectors that I came across some time ago FYI:

1713434442040.png

Lacksballs

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
VK Group C Replica, 1995 VR Sedan
O/e spec injectors are required for an O/e engines ecu to operate correctly (unless you have the ability to get in and tune for larger injectors). Replace all injectors at the same time, buy a repeatable brand & from a known reseller.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
I've got blue tops in my vh but it has quite a bit more power than standard.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I've got blue tops in my vh but it has quite a bit more power than standard.
Yeah, I only went up to bluetops on my 304 because I was hitting the dangerous limits of duty cycle at WOT on the standard ones.

But now I'm building a high comp big cam 355 which will likely max out the blue tops, and the cycle restarts.