Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

EYY's VY Calais LS1

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Went in yesterday and masked it up - had planned to paint but 37 degree heat meant I had to do it this morning instead.

T1aBF40.jpg

Colour without clear:

bbhC16u.jpg

Clear on

xP6vY7A.jpg

lFecyYG.jpg

Unmasked

Kwh5WoY.jpg

Turned out well for acrylic - the clear has laid down quite flat with minimal peel. Should make it easy to sand and polish, but I'll leave it for a few weeks to let it dry first.

I've ordered another exhaust to replace the 3" Xforce. Turns out the reviews for that exhaust are spot on - drone galore :eek:

Last edited:

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Started wet sanding over the weekend and compounded a few panels. Fitted the new wheels and took it for a wheel alignment and balance on Friday. New exhaust turned up on Sunday too. Also fitted a set of NOS front mud flaps.
Wd12SZz.png

I4VaLj8.jpg

1DlbCEP.jpg

DwDg7fq.jpg

hOcOc7C.png

And last but not least, my favourite sanding block for colour sanding...

jnYVKkb.jpg

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Started compounding the bumpers:

tQOkWPK.jpg

Roof

aIh1GEW.jpg

BZ9iDsj.jpg

W972S4N.jpg

Bootlid

mFDDnyQ.jpg

8SuVZr4.jpg

Compounded the passenger side

Ec9HJbQ.jpg

Engine bay cleaned a little more

tDgyLRM.jpg

I had already painted the boot lip but wasn't happy with it - added some filler in sections and re-sanded. Still need to prime and respray.

gftQl2p.jpg

Ditto for the rear window spoiler

sK8cqbw.jpg

Fitted the black interior

gmDPxEJ.jpg

iDJUwzO.jpg

Bought a Meguiars Autocosmetica DA polisher last week, which I'll use to go over the whole car again to remove light swirl marks from the rotary polisher. Hoping to have it on the road sometime over the next few weeks.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Passed RWC today!
T1u2UGq.jpg

i6pYLsr.jpg

Went over the whole car with the new Meguiars DA polisher, but only with ultimate compound and a Meguiars microfibre cutting pad. It seems to have taken care of the swirl marks. I'll still go over the whole car again with the DA and polishing pad using ultimate polish shortly, then wax.

Resprayed the drivers rear door trim, the bobtail, roof spoiler and new fuel flap (existing one is cracked at the hinge like most are). Also refitted the new 'Calais' badges to both doors, along with V8 badge and bootlid badge.

I quite like the OEM template for fitting the badges too - they make it very difficult to get wrong.
TVZC05v.jpg

odYfOmi.jpg

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Just a bit jealous of that wet stuff.

We've only had 2mm of rain since Jan 1.

Reactions: EYY

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Well, the past couple of weeks have tested my patience as far as this car goes. I drove the Calais to work last week and left early to get to the VicRoads appointment for rego. All was going well until they inspected the car, and found that the mechanic who did the RWC had written the VIN incorrectly. No go.

Long story short, I was unable to book it in for rego inspection at VicRoads before the 30 day RWC expiry (exceeded by only one day!). So I dropped the car off last night to have a new RWC done and picked it up again tonight.

They offered me a free oil change as compensation, but I managed to get them to gas the A/C for me as part of the deal instead. Unfortunately the low pressure schrader valve is leaking very slightly but I’ve just purchased the tool to replace it without losing the refrigerant.

I’ll be taking it for its VicRoads inspection on the 24th of this month, albeit at a more remote VicRoads inspection centre. Approx 1.5 hour drive each way so ill be taking the day off work this time around.

Hopefully smooth(er) sailing from here.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Rego, A/C sorted. polished, waxed, ribbon'd.
Our wedding on Saturday was a huge success, despite being a very wet day :)

Bride, her sister and parents arrived in my Calais. Bridesmaids got the Statesman. My groomsmen and I arrived in a mates VZ Calais, and my parents arrived in my ute. Sandman's car also made the line-up at the venue.

gQt691v.jpg

hrEzQFr.jpg

ORAaHff.jpg

c4ljHlA.jpg

OlrGzTa.jpg

Last edited: