Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] Double row timing chain worth it?

VSSECO

Underdog rebuild
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS - 6 pots, 5 cogs
I know, your absolutely right... I really should do it, I'm just getting over doing things twice haha. I guess I'll go buy myself another timing case gasket set tomorrow :bang:

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
My "built" Eco just has a single Rollmaster. I installed it at initial build (prior to disabling balance shaft). I had the timing case off recently after 15 000kms cause i was paranoid about the "heavy" springs flogging out the chain. chain was perfect, tensioner was perfect, no complaints. At this same time i ditched the balance shaft gear, and just put the single back in cause it was fine.

I did springs/ chain replacement on my former daily VN not long ago, i fitted a double chain and ditched the balance shaft also. A very reliable source informed me that the tensioner must be put in even with a double chain. He told me to fit the chain without the tensioner and check for slop. I did and there was some give, so i chose to refit a tensioner.

This is what i have been told by an experienced V6 builder. Others may think other wise, but it hasn't failed me.

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
Every timing chain will have a bit of give. On a double row, if you do fit the tensioner back in, it will be doing nothing anyway...The tensioner is a **** set up, the sooner it can be gotten rid of the better.

Don't get me wrong, i was about to just put it in without a tensioner after reading threads on SC. But i was unsure after seeing the slop on mine, so i asked.. and was told to put one in.

Either or really, not sayin you are wrong

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
i agree......

VSSECO

Underdog rebuild
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS - 6 pots, 5 cogs
Now I'm confused about what to do :p

I think if I was putting the chain in today I'd leave the tensioner out, but since its in there now and I'm so close to getting the car to the dyno I'm tempted to just leave it for now.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
leave it in there it will be fine .