Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] Double row timing chain worth it?

maldotcom2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cammed mafless VS Calais 5-speed.
Is it neccessary to use a double row timing chain when using a bigger cam/heavy duty springs? Has anyone had any experience with a single row not being sufficient? I'm just wondering whether the money would be better spent elsewhere as the double row sets are 5 times the cost of a single row set.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
5 times the cost???? Your buying either the wrong item or at the wrong place.

EDIT: Found the price, I paid $136 for my Rollermaster double row. You don't really HAVE to use a double row, but it is good insurance if you going a wild cam with tough springs. Just remember if using a double row you have to remove the balancer shaft drive gears.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
It's not the cam thats the problem, it's the heavy duty springs. The tensioner doesn't take very kindly to heavy duty springs and they normally wear out fairly quickly which generally results in a blocked oil pick up when the bits of the tensioner end up in the sump. When you use a double row chain, you don't run the tensioner anymore as the double row chain is tight without it.

Get a double row, delete the balance shaft and be happy. It's certainly cheap insurance IMO.

VSSECO

Underdog rebuild
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS - 6 pots, 5 cogs
I was under the impression that the tensioner was still supposed to stay with the double chain... even though it doesn't look like it needs it

Last edited:

VSSECO

Underdog rebuild
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS - 6 pots, 5 cogs
I was under the impression that the tensioner was still supposed to stay with the double chain... even though it doesn't look like it needs it

VSSECO

Underdog rebuild
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS - 6 pots, 5 cogs
I threw a double chain in mine last month as part of a big engine freshen up, and haven't started it back up yet. Should I pull the timing case again and remove the tensioner??? Is there any benefit, I mean apart from no tensioner wear? Quieter?

VSSECO

Underdog rebuild
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS - 6 pots, 5 cogs
No i'm running standard springs with YT rollers. I went right through the engine and replaced anything that I could see potentially failing in the future and I figured that if I had to buy a timing chain at all then I may as well buy a double row chain, I wanted to disable the balance shaft anyway. So it's all back together with a new tensioner in there and now I'm shattered I left it in but dont really feel like pulling it apart again.