Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

DNS Level Blocking

Jaymz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec 1996, VS SS 1996
Although you may see comparable ping responses and you may not see any issues with browsing, but you are missing out on the Akamai servers and the speed boosts you get from having their caching for larger and frequent downloads.

I will use a google DNS server as a last forwarder on my servers, but not for standard home users.

I used to think google dns was all that i needed, but after being shown how slow/fast an iTunes music download was and why it was so much slower i learnt why it was happening.

That being said of course, most ISP's dont allow non clients to connect, so if the Dodo ISP's DNS servers are ****, then google is probably your best option until you change ISP

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
For the most part the hidden geolocation issue with Akamai, Amazon, and other CDN's with public DNS no longer occurs. It's a very 2010 issue. If concerned you can use Dig Tool to verify.

Personally I use a mix of ISP and Google and the only CDN's used I have direct UPnP with. I agree though for the most part an ISP's DNS will suffice, it's just Dodo that doesn't count.

Jaymz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec 1996, VS SS 1996
Cheers dude, i will have a look see.

Always good to be challenged with theory's as new ones come along :D

HyperThinker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
Internode does this when you havent paid your bill, Intercepts all udp 53 connections and sends them to their pay your bill dns list.