Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

DNS Level Blocking

Bourbonated

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
G'evening.

As the topic states, I wish to ask about DNS Level Blocking. Has anybody experienced this lately with their ISP? I have found a few sites lately that have blocked by my ISP. I did not realize that this was a thing in Australia (For the moment). Luckily this is easy to circumvent, for the minute.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Are you certain it was your ISP? Circumvent? It's DNS, there's no way any ISP can control it (only APNIC with au's). Use a real DNS server; 8.8.8.8 (8.8.4.4 secondary), our friends Google block no site.

Do you mean filtering?

Bourbonated

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Yeah, I am certain it was my ISP, lol. I just let my modem set it's own DNS for a little while. Tried pinging and tracert'ing the website to no avail. Simply changed my DNS under the adapter settings to the Google DNS and everything was fine. Of course, if I was to ring them and ask them why, the would just shrug it off.

I find it hilarious, to be perfectly honest.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Who's your ISP? Maybe they just had a nameserver issue? I mean if you were going to block a site, you wouldn't use DNS, you'd use some sort of perimeter appliance and force your clients through it.

Bourbonated

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
While that quite true, I would hate to think Dodo would actually have the resources to pull it off. It would be a massive financial pitfall for them, if they did.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Lol, dodo don't even have their own infrastructure, they buy services from the lowest common denominator, which may as well be a cluster of HP desktops iiNet threw in a bin. It was a fault mate, no question.

Jaymz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec 1996, VS SS 1996
Just a FYI for anyone who is using an external (out of country) DNS server. This is not a recommended practice, nor will you see much of an improvement in browsing speeds.

The reason for this is is that they stuff up your computer's ability to find the closest Akamai server to you.

Akamai is the worldwide system which places massive file servers inside ISP data centres worldwide. Which basically acts like a giant cache so that when you download a big file like a Windows or Mac OS X update, something from iTunes, it downloads from a server that's very close to you, and therefore helps speed up the download as there are fewer bottlenecks.

Using Google's DNS or OpenDNS is fine for testing and troubleshooting, but in the long run you are far better off using a local DNS server for DNS lookups.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Google's DNS farms aren't OS, OpenDNS are. Ping 8.8.8.8, then ping your ISP, for example iiNet: 203.0.178.191. Latency is the same or a couple of ms in favour of one or the other.