Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Damaged WH1 fuel tank

whtoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH2 Caprice
Gidday everyone. My fuel tank is leaking from a few hits on a gravel road bridge crossing i use regularly. Is this easily repairable ? Do i need to take the tank out or can i leave it in ? Is it easy to get out ? I have an LPG tank in the boot too. Is it cheaper to replace or repair ? Got the fuel draining out at the moment so it will be empty soon.
tank.jpg
Thanks for any advice in advance.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
replace it would be best, they are not bad to get out if u have a hoist, prob more of a pain if u only have stands as the height of the fill neck has to be able to come out

whtoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH2 Caprice
replace it would be best, they are not bad to get out if u have a hoist, prob more of a pain if u only have stands as the height of the fill neck has to be able to come out
Thanks. Don`t have a hoist or have access to one out here in the bush. The fill neck doesn`t come apart ? Is there a drain plug to get the petrol out quicker ,please ? It is very slow going and the tank is about 3/4 full. What are these tanks worth second hand from the wreckers ?Thanks.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
no the tank is all one mold and all comes out as one, easiest without fuel in it, not sure on costing never replaced on only had them out to do new modules in

to get out undo the fill cap, then undo the straps and have something under it as it will fall and u only want it to go down enough so u can get the pump hoses and loom off first so they dont brake off if the tank goes down too far (they use quick connect fittings) u can see the little gripper bits each side on the hose fitting so push the fitting in toward the module and then press inward on the gripper bits and then pull the hose off and it should disconnect but they can be a pain to do, also any pressure in the line will flow fuel out for a little, then once the lines and plug is off just lower it down until the fill neck is out and ur done, then just reverse to get back in, make sure fill neck goes in right and best to remove cap and put a rag in the fill so its easier to fit back in, once u have it in just put one strap on and make sure its all in the right spot and filler is good then just fit the other straps n ur done

whtoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH2 Caprice
no the tank is all one mold and all comes out as one, easiest without fuel in it, not sure on costing never replaced on only had them out to do new modules in

to get out undo the fill cap, then undo the straps and have something under it as it will fall and u only want it to go down enough so u can get the pump hoses and loom off first so they dont brake off if the tank goes down too far (they use quick connect fittings) u can see the little gripper bits each side on the hose fitting so push the fitting in toward the module and then press inward on the gripper bits and then pull the hose off and it should disconnect but they can be a pain to do, also any pressure in the line will flow fuel out for a little, then once the lines and plug is off just lower it down until the fill neck is out and ur done, then just reverse to get back in, make sure fill neck goes in right and best to remove cap and put a rag in the fill so its easier to fit back in, once u have it in just put one strap on and make sure its all in the right spot and filler is good then just fit the other straps n ur done
Thankyou. info. Thanks for your help.

whtoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH2 Caprice
Update. Got the tank out with limited space to work in but it was a PITA . Whoever put the towbar in has mounted one side of it up against one of the tank strap bolts and it took a bit of getting the towbar out of the way with pulling everything out of the boot and unscrewing everything covering them after finding the bolts turning from the inside. Getting the hoses off was not the tank is already out an i will get another one.

Attachments

• IMG_3403.jpg
    IMG_3403.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3405.jpg
    IMG_3405.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 40

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
as long as u get the same tank not sure if they had longer range in them or not i dont think they did, just swap ur pump module into it so u know it suits as those can change a bit

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Update. Got the tank out with limited space to work in but it was a PITA . Whoever put the towbar in has mounted one side of it up against one of the tank strap bolts and it took a bit of getting the towbar out of the way with pulling everything out of the boot and unscrewing everything covering them after finding the bolts turning from the inside. Getting the hoses off was not the tank is already out an i will get another one.
When pulling my tank out of the wagon, it's the same. Have to pull the towbar, & bumper plastic.
I have a platform that bolts to my trolley jack, l usually use it for pulling & installing tranmissions.

Works perfectly for pulling fuel tanks & installing them too.
1706407865498.jpeg

whtoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH2 Caprice
as long as u get the same tank not sure if they had longer range in them or not i dont think they did, just swap ur pump module into it so u know it suits as those can change a bit
This one is only supposed to be 75 litres. I am going to let it drain upside down for a week and then give it ago with the soldering iron , but i will swap the pump if i do get another tank. Thanks for telling me that. Cheers.

whtoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH2 Caprice
When pulling my tank out of the wagon, it's the same. Have to pull the towbar, & bumper plastic.
I have a platform that bolts to my trolley jack, l usually use it for pulling & installing tranmissions.

Works perfectly for pulling fuel tanks & installing them too.
View attachment 263456
I think i might have to weld myself up something like that to make it a bit easier. Cheers.

Reactions: Lex