Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Coupe 4 - Very Nice!

M

mickey

I think the power drop is due to the route of the exhaust system on aussie cars. The Pontiac variant has a bucketload more power because the exhaust is not impeded by the aussie fuel tank. Yanks have tougher rear impact laws that required the repositioning of the fuel tank, as a result the GTO has a real classic V8 growl. I think I read in Drive that the low power in the AWD was due to a similar exhaust clearance/route problem with the AWD gear. Anyway what would I know I am just an IT teacher!

kosams

Reaction score
One thing about the AWD will be it's cornering ability...no more backing off on some of those real tight bends. This has been overlooked by many who look for the straight line speed without the handling. As for the GTO's v Monaro, AWD Coupe, many of their characteristics will be interchanged as the models are developed. GTO will have a new face look soon with a scooped front bonnet which looks wild.

fourstar82

Head Chef Honcho
Reaction score
Website
s31.photobucket.com
Members Ride
VYII 25th Anniversary, 2007 VE Calais
The reason the power is lower than the current standard 285kw, is because of the new awd drive train, therefore could not be done in the same manner as 285kw cars, ie the route and design is different. I can't remember which issue of Wheels had the feature on Coupe 4, but it is all explained in deatil there...

Andy

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
what are people's opinions on the holden AWD system? what do they call it - cross trac?

it uses 3 open diffs i think for the adventra. do they put an LSD on the rear axle for the monaro version? if not, is it any good?

oh they use an ABS-driven traction control system i think. is this innovative or is it skimping on cost?

jetspin_vn

JetSpin Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN GTS
I don't know about the LSD thing, but i would imagine they would include 'em. Mint car to take skiing, blow away the stupid Legacys

jafo

lurker since 2003
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 wh statesman
the reason the thing is 270 kw is so they can bring out the upperclass models and charge you accordingly like addigs 30kw to make it sound more powerfull and all the other stuff that it has'nt got at the moment
it's not rocket science

but hey id still like one

jetspin_vn

JetSpin Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN GTS
With the VY Clubbies and GTO's breathing down the neck of the GTS power wise (ok 20kW is still alot but hey) I do begin to wonder how long until HSV winds up the power of their might flagship.

Perhaps they should just drop a 427 in it

Mike
- mmmmmm, 427ci.

G

Grantis1976

I must agree with "Jetspin" on that last one, imagine the look from the rest when this peice of "Sex on Wheels" rools in thru the snow with a couple of skis on the roof!
As for the power- One of the car mags (wheels or motor, dont remeber which) stated that because of the front drive system and different steering set-up to allow for the diff., they had to reduce the exhust manifold (extractors) from 43mm pipe to 40 mm. Wouldnt think that would make so much difference.
Maybe they left it like that so in 2-3 yrs time when we get our mits on one, we can build the "ULTIMATE" 4WD, 5.7L, twin turbo/blower, cooler !!!
No harm in dreaming !!!

jetspin_vn

JetSpin Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN GTS
Amen to that. I don't have that issue of motor and my mate refuses to give me it as he's a tad bent (ford fan, drives a prelude ) so can someone tell me what the front/rear power split it us? 30 - 70 seems to ring a bell...

Mike.

S

Stoneheart

Unfortunately, we don’t have any AWD Lumina’s in the Middle East