Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car failing to start, clicks but doesn’t crank, when it eventually cranks it will turnover - VZ Commodore

ButcherCommy-4123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Problem is just as in the title, sometimes the car starts fine other times I have to turn the key completely and then back completely multiple times and when it eventually cranks instead of clicking and doing nothing it will start, has no problems turning over, feel like its worse than it was a few weeks ago

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
A click click click is can also be an indication of a suspect battery…
Luckily it’s an easy check by doing a battery load test but also check the battery terminals ;)

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
There are clicks, and then there are click clicks.
I have found a faulty battery will usually make the starter turn then create a number of clicks
where as a faulty starter will usually only click once or twice then no more until the key is turned off then on again.

I mentioned on here before when I pulled down my old starter it was full of dust from the brushes.
Tap toward the front of the starter with a hammer etc (tap it, don't beat the daylights out of it) and this will usually jar it enough for the brushes to slip down in the housing and make contact with the armature and start working again, but it won't work for ever.

ButcherCommy-4123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
A click click click is can also be an indication of a suspect battery…
Luckily it’s an easy check by doing a battery load test but also check the battery terminals ;)
Ah yeah heard that the other day when my battery was drained in the morning but charged it up and it hasn’t made that noise since

ButcherCommy-4123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Thank you everyone, I’m new here and you’ve all been very helpful, I was assuming it wasn’t the starter motor and that it was an electrical issue of some kind but I’ve run diagnostics and found no faults, going to look into replacing the starter motor, cheers

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Definitely recommend getting the Battery Load Tested first.
Quick and Easy thing to potentially rule that out.

Had it in the SS where it would click but fail to want to start or crank.
(somehow it appears to allign with where in its system check it was)
Battery was completely gone (had like 200CCA's instead of the 650 rated)
Still rarely will just click and not want to crank (starter motor not throwing out likely) but it was a compounded issue.
Went from 1 in 3 starts having issues to maybe 1 in 20.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
+1 for load testing your battery.

doubt it’s fully the starter at fault but if the starter motor could be dismantled like the old days, I’d pull it apart and give it a going over. I’d be paying close attention to brushes, lubrication and general cleanliness as well as polishing the contactor surface (to remove pitting, welding marks, etc)… but alas modern stuff isn’t designed to be dismantles and I suspect todays starter motors are built that way.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
+1 for load testing your battery.

but alas modern stuff isn’t designed to be dismantles and I suspect todays starter motors are built that way.
Oh yes they are.
They come apart just like the older 6/8 cylinder starters, only problem is you cannot buy brushes for them.