Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best tool & favourite tool

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Where would you use a degree indicator? Not that I know what one is? Unless you mean a degree wheel? Although there are some who claim you don't need one of those either, which is laughable if installing a cam.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Where would you use a degree indicator? Not that I know what one is? Unless you mean a degree wheel? Although there are some who claim you don't need one of those either, which is laughable if installing a cam.

https://www.toolmart.com.au/kincrom...MI9c_vivOg_AIVHJlmAh1_fQ24EAQYBSABEgJ-9_D_BwE

It’s the more consistent way to ‘torque’ up a bolt. A set degree of rotation equals a set amount of stretch on a particular bolt, and a specific clamping force. The advantage is that it isn’t impacted by the friction in the thread.

A degree wheel on a cam is a different thing again.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
For that price it's probably worth having one in the cab, especially if you do a lot of your own work. Can't see myself buying one my current ute rarely gets the bonnet lifted. Not like my old ute, and other cars in the past where it was an almost daily occurrence with me waiting for the next thing to go wrong.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
A large number of bolts, nuts and studs I am torquing are in the book as i.e 40nm then 90 degree. Much like head bolts on an LS. 90 degree is pretty easy to eyeball. Other degrees not so much. A degree wheel is a type of indicator, there's a few different versions

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
What's the cohorts thoughts on a degree indicator. Who uses one? I'm doing a bit more nm +degree these days. I've just used a protracter, eyeballed it and stuck my tongue out. Should I care more?

The question is, with the protracter and eyeballing process you have been doing, caused any issues?

If not, I'd stick to that....

However if you like getting tools, because you can, grab one by all means...

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The question is, with the protracter and eyeballing process you have been doing, caused any issues?

If not, I'd stick to that....

However if you like getting tools, because you can, grab one by all means...
If I was Pollushon I'd grab one they seem cheap enough to make it worthwhile, and it would make his job easier for a small outlay.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
If I was Pollushon I'd grab one they seem cheap enough to make it worthwhile, and it would make his job easier for a small outlay.

Yes, I can see that side where it would be easier.

I can also see the side of, it there hasn't been a problem, why grab one.

I'm just glad I'm the one not making the final decision.... :)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I like spending money on tools, so if I felt the need for one it would be a no-brainer.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I like spending money on tools, so if I felt the need for one it would be a no-brainer.

Agreed there.....

I could almost go down the path of, if one was cheap enough, I'd grab it just to take some more space up in the tool box.... :)

• Haha
Reactions: Lex

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Agreed there.....

I could almost go down the path of, if one was cheap enough, I'd grab it just to take some more space up in the tool box.... :)
I'm out of space and now in need of a intermediate two or three drawer. Trouble is Repco stopped making them and I can't find one locally which is guaranteed to fit on the roller and under the chest.