Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

B&M Ratchet shifter won’t select 1st gear

bruggy_vh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL
Hi guys, I have a B&M shifter in my VC wagon which won’t select first gear. It’s done it since I bought the thing. It’s on a trimatic. I’ll shift from D to 2nd and then to 1st and it doesn’t select it. Any ideas on what to look for? Thanks!

yamahahatim

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss crewman
Likley to need Linkage adjustment or possibly cable running at weird angle..

Undo cable on box, shift shifter into 1st, move arm on box to 1st gear position.. adjust cable to suit this position....
Check 2 3 d r and p..

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Or the throw is wrong so the gate doesn't line up properly. Can you get all the other gears?

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Definately cable adjustment, it takes a while to get right.

It's not like the factory shift rods, the cables on B&M's need to be dialled in to the mm. It helps to have 2 people, one in the car shifting and the other adjusting the cable at the trans.

You should be able to pull the eyelet in and out of the bracket on the trans freely with each gear, if it's binding up or you can't pull the cable eyelet out of the bracket at each position it's not adjusted correctly.

Out of adjustment cables are an easy way to burn up a trans too. The other thing to check is that you have the right bracket on the trimatic. When you buy a B&M shifter it comes with half a dozen or so brackets to suit all different transmissions.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Could be adjustment or might not have correct trimatic bracket which dont come in kit with shifter.