Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

B&m shifter misaligned?

MaxH

Reaction score
Members Ride
4.2 HZ ute
My bought my old HZ (Trimatic behind a 253) about 12 months ago and ever since i bought it i've been wrestling with the b&m ratchet shifter in it. It moves fine but the problem lies where the gears actually are in the trans vs the shifter itself. ie if its in park the car can drop into reverse, cant get into N and have to search a bit to find anything other than drive. Can this be fixed by adjusting the cable itself? i've noticed the L shaped plate the cable connects to on the shifter has two mounting points, is there any chance its the wrong slot, hit the clip with almost everything short on getting it on a hoist at work and hanging off it and havent been able get it out yet.
Or could it just not be the right shift pattern in the shifter itself.

I dont have any photos atm but i can put some up if it helps when i get home.

Cheers

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Yes, it will likely be a cable adjustment issue.

As the cables stretch over the years they need to be readjusted. Even a less than a milimetre of stretch can completely throw out your shifting.

It's imperative you get it fixed asap as when it's not properly adjusted you could be half way between say neutral and drive and while the car will still move your going to be burning out the trans pretty quickly, you need to ensure the shifter is engaging completely each position and not between positions.

I've seen people lose transmissions from improperly adjusted cables.

It's unlikely to be the bracket thats the issue or that the cables in the wrong hole, it's more likely that the cables just lost it's adjustment or stretched over the years.

Heres a good video on adjusting the cable.

Last edited: