Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Auto electrican Astra VXR

gee180

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXR 2006
Ok, Do you have the vehicles Owners manual as it has fuse locations and fuse numbers for the rear electrical centre and underhood fuse panels
Unfortunately I do not.
I did try searching online few weeks back and found some websites selling electronic copies but wasn't so sure if it was legit.

gee180

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXR 2006
Ok, Do you have the vehicles Owners manual as it has fuse locations and fuse numbers for the rear electrical centre and underhood fuse panels.

And does the horn sound when pressing the horn pad on the steering wheel?

Yep horn sounds, when I pressed the button.

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
What YEAR was the car BUILT, not the model year. Should be a tag on the top of the front radiator support panel with a build date on it.

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
Being the VXR i think the engine in it should be the Z20LEH turbo petrol. Yes?

I need exact vehicle details to view the correct schematics and diag. procedures.

gee180

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXR 2006
What YEAR was the car BUILT, not the model year. Should be a tag on the top of the front radiator support panel with a build date on it.
Build date 5th October 2006
Being the VXR i think the engine in it should be the Z20LEH turbo petrol. Yes?

I need exact vehicle details to view the correct schematics and diag. procedures.
Correct!

gee180

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXR 2006
Will be taking it to an auto electrician on Tuesday to see if he can spend a couple hours clearing some codes. I have asked him to tackle the steering angle sensor first and go from there (taking your advice @VT2Commie) and see if that sorts out the rest.
Do you have any other pointers for me to pass on, or recommendations of someone of your calibre on the east coast !
So will report back any findings.

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
Only one thing to pass on, If the auto lecky doesn't have a Tech2 and/or good model specific electrical schematics I think they may be chasing their arse. Will see what the outcome is when you report back.

gee180

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXR 2006
Ok so due to sheer luck I managed to find a Holden mechanic who now works elsewhere and worked on Astra's (not VXR's but close enough).
I took the car to him today for a quick diagnostic, he had the latest scan tools - he couldn't calibrate the steering angle as I didn't have the immobiliser codes from HSV, so task 1 for me is to get the codes and he thinks that will sort out the traction control light aka steering angle sensor calibration.
The remaining issues, after troubleshooting he believes the boost pressure sensor (the sensor in the intercooler pipe between turbo and intake manifold; part # bosch 0 261 230 042 is faulty as it's giving him a 'hard code' instantly even when the car is on 'accessory'.
There is a code with the intake temp sensor which is reading -41 constantly and he thinks, the the intake temp sensor is faulty so that reading could be coming from the sensor above (boost pressure sensor) could be triggering this code.
He checked the wiring harness and said it all looks fine except for the photo below the sensor here (air flow meter?), looks like they have re-wired it for some reason and that is what Holden were referring to "wiring harness tampered with".
ipTNJIi.jpg

There is also a turbo soleniod code that came up, not sure about that.
So I will have to get the immobiliser code, and source a new boost pressure sensor and we try again.
@VT2Commie - could the boost pressure sensor also be spitting out the intake temp sensor code?

Last edited:

gee180

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXR 2006
@VT2Commie : Is there any way to get the immobiliser code?
I called the Holden dealer and they requested the info through HSV. They called me back and provided me with the immobiliser code for the car. Funny thing is, they tried the code when I brought the car into the service centre and it didn't work (see my snippet of codes above, one of the lines says immobiliser code inccorect).
I feel like I am going around in circles now, though I haven't tried the immobiliser code they provided me with the auto electrician I found as I'm still waiting for the boost pressure sensor before visting him agian.
If Holden claim this is the correct immobiliser code, but if the auto electrician can't access the ecu to calibrate the steering angle sensor, where do I go from here?
I'm pretty sure the auto electrician confirmed that it still has the original bits and bobs, something about all the numbers lining up that they are original, except for the radio - it looks like they had an aftermarket head unit in there but before I bought it, they put the original one back in and hence that is why it is locked out.
Mumma mia...!

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
The plot thickens, Aftermarket radios, and disconnection of original equipment. Mmmm. This comes back to no more tech's around that know these vehicles anymore (or could be bothered to look for the info or have access to it). Time is money.

Last edited: