Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Auto electrican Astra VXR

gee180

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXR 2006
Hi all,

Essentially after or would like recommendations for an auto electrician to work on my 06 HSV VXR.
It's throwing up some dash lights/ecu codes;
-boost pressure sensor
-cam con communcation error (something like that)
-steering position sensor not calibrated

I took it too holden and they didn't want to work on it, said my wiring harness has been screwed around with and they recommended me to take it to an auto electrician.
Anyone have an recommendations around Western Sydney.

thanks

LeighC

Reaction score
Members Ride
Omega V Commodore V6 Dual Fuel
Had a mate that had a lot of problems with his Astra about your model & he chased fault codes for years to no avail. The car would slow down & presumed to go into limp mode with heaps of check engine lights & codes, we would cancel the codes OK (they were none active) & they always came back after a drive.
Put a fuel pressure gauge on it in the end & turned out to be the problem. The low pressure was caused by the inlet sock/strainer for the fuel pump in the fuel tank was covered in fuel varnish blocking it. Cleaned it off & it never missed a beat again. It was easily got to by a plate under the rear seat on his model. The moral to this story is not to presume everything is caused by electrical gremlins. Hope this may help.
Cheers - Leigh

gee180

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXR 2006
Thanks Leigh, will definitely keep that in mind.
Hopefully get them sorted, I do know there is def some ecu faults as I'm getting a communication fault code and the mechanic couldn't clear the codes. As great as these cars are they can be a pain in the backside.

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
Why did holden think the wiring was screwed around with.

Is it?

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
What codes are there?

gee180

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXR 2006
Unfortunately I purchased it without knowing it had all these faults as when I plugged my OBD scanner in, it just came up with a steering angel sensor not calibrated issue, so I figured no bigge. But when I took it to get a service at Holden they told me that there are more faults:

U2102 can-bus
abs c0460 steering angel sensor not calibrated
Engine p0110 intake air temp sensor circuit high input present
Engine P0235 boost pressure sensor circuit high input present

Mechanically I am good, but electronically I am not, wouldn't know where to start !

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
I would hazard a guess the western sydney holden service centre has no-one left trained in the art of opel/holden TIS2000 service information and diagnostics with a Tech 2.

Opel/Holden product diagnostics are a whole next level. Access to the diagnostics and schematics are a must. Other wise the tech is just chasing their arse replacing parts that may not even need replacing.

It's a shame really. If you were on the west coast I would be able to help.

Last edited:

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
Ok, I have read through some of the DTC diagnostics in relation to the ABS DTC C0460.

The steering angle sensor will need calibrating with a scantool, preferably a TECH 2.
Now, IF the steering angle sensor can't be calibrated or wont calibrate, further diagnosis will be required, (This maybe why you are getting the communication DTC U2102). Calibrating the SAS (Steering Angle Sensor) MAY clear the communication DTC.

(Note) several rework procedures to do with the CIM Columb Intergrated Module were flagged that MIGHT be the problem, (again this comes back to, no-one experienced enough left in some service centres that knows all the in's and out's of these vehicles anymore). They are getting on in age now.

Too tired to read anymore. will see if I can locate the other DTC info later.

gee180

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXR 2006
Thanks, VT2Commie for taking an interest, so since you asked, here is the extract from the diagnostics report, below.
I wholeheartedly agree, they spent 1hr, showed no interest in trying to diagnose or troubleshoot. I am a genuinely curious person and try to find out why x, y doesn’t work and make a concerted effort at trying to fix the problem, for them it was in/out can't be bothered. We prefer to do scheduled maintenance :D.
Man I wish you were over here too, i'd be treating you to endless food and beverages lol.
[edit]: they also mentioned the main wiring harness in the engine bay looks to have been played around with (i haven't checked that, the car is parked at my parents house for now, i'll try get a photo of what that looks like)
[edit2]: the car drives like a naturally aspirated car, produces no boost at all (according to boost guage)
PBirtSL.jpg

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
Ok, Do you have the vehicles Owners manual as it has fuse locations and fuse numbers for the rear electrical centre and underhood fuse panels.

And does the horn sound when pressing the horn pad on the steering wheel?

Last edited: