Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Auto electrican Astra VXR

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
Good grief ?!?

gee180

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXR 2006
Haha I know, the efforts to get this car sorted, I swear...!
Tell me @VT2Commie , if I sourced another engine ECU but didn't have the immobiliser code is there a possibility of getting the code with a tech2 or other means?
e.g. i buy a new ecu and plug it into my car, then connect a scan tool of somesort are we able to dig it out that way?

[edit: not new ecu, but 2nd hand one off another vxr]

Last edited:

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
Only if that secondhand ECU has been wiped of all data to do with the donor vehicle. Reset so to speak.

gee180

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXR 2006
Ok, found a second hand ecu, same part number in the UK, mechanic thinks they should be able to clone my ecu and transfer it to the other one - his connection has the tools to do so but $$$. He also mentioned they may be able to read the immobiliser code from the replacement ECU once plugged in and go from there using fancy tools.
Might be a couple of weeks of radio silence but will report back with updates once some actions have been taken.
I feel like I need a second job just trying to fund the rectification of this car!!

gee180

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXR 2006
Hey guys,
apologies for the radio silence but I have an update.
Made an appointment with the tech and he attended today to install the new ECU I bought from the UK. He inspected it and determined it was a refurbished unit (due to all the error codes it initially threw up when he connected it, look like it was plugged into a test bench) and had been factory reset which was an added bonus. He worked his magic and reprogrammed the ECU to suit my car. Now the real tests:
1. first test was to start it and it did -- boom!
2. second test to run a full vehicle diagnostic check and hopefully have no codes come up -- 1 code, bummer! Look into code, oh its a canbus error because it can't find the factory radio, sweet! clear code all good. Now there are no codes...yay!!
Car idles nicely, as before it was hunting, revving up and down between 700 and 1000 rpm, running really rich and not boosting.
Idles nice, drives like a dream, got some get up and go once you hit full boost in 3rd gear +...ahh what a fun little car.
BUT this car giveth and also it takekh, whilst all errors, faults cleared now for some reason the door ajar light stays on lol, even if all are closed. I guess I can live with that.
So all in all, the main culprit was a faulty ECU,

Thanks for all the help along the way lads, now to eventually get this door ajar light fixed, I wonder how much that will cost me...:p