Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

any ideas for mods and exhausts for my stock 2010 sv6 VE Ute

Wagz06

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE sv6
My 2 cents

A full exhaust is pointless without a tune

Start with a full service, engine oil and filter, air fliter, transmission, diff, coolant, full brake flush

Possibly good street brake pads and quality tyres if required (quality tyres are essential)

Do the service yourself of you can, buy a good service manual, jack, stands, and tools, torque wrench, don't break stuff, take your time

Safety safety, always, always, never work on a car that is held up by the jack alone

For a little more "noise", as stated, just get some SS rear mufflers, easy bolt on, and cheap/free

Alway buy quality parts, do it right, do it once

Then, possibly new shocks if you still have the original shocks as they will probably be rooted, I wouldn't go lower than FE2 if you want to lower it a bit, lowering it too much can be a PITA in relation to handling ground clearance and compliance on a street car, you will need a wheel alignment

Doing this will be good for reliability, safety and you get to know your car

Getting it clean and serviced is priority No 1, focus on the basics

If your on your learners/P plates keep the car under the radar

Then save money to upgrade to a better car once your off your P plates, or, when you get your full licence put a turbo with all required supporting mods on it

Drive safe, don't break it

Cars are expensive
Thanks heaps man, sounds like a great start for her, I bought her on sssl suspension all corners and she’s still on it, do u reccomend going higher off the ground

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Thanks heaps man, sounds like a great start for her, I bought her on sssl suspension all corners and she’s still on it, do u reccomend going higher off the ground
That's a personal choice and the roads you drive on, as well as what the local constabulary in your area think of lowered cars, I like to fly under the radar

I've got Pedders extreme coilovers in my VX SS sedan and they are set at 370 mm front and 365 mm rear hub to guard, basically set at slightly higher than FE2 height, although I still need to be careful of large speed humps

For a big old overpowered grocery getter it handles like a dream on Sydney roads and I don't need to watch every hump, bump or when parking,......

20221017_093241.thumb.jpg.46b133e4f4350a2ea8b9cac90b621dce.jpg

Reactions: Lex

Wagz06

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE sv6
That's a personal choice and the roads you drive on, as well as what the local constabulary in your area think of lowered cars, I like to fly under the radar

I've got Pedders extreme coilovers in my VX SS sedan and they are set at 370 mm front and 365 mm rear hub to guard, basically set at slightly higher than FE2 height, although I still need to be careful of large speed humps

For a big old overpowered grocery getter it handles like a dream on Sydney roads and I don't need to watch every hump, bump or when parking,......

View attachment 245506
Ahh ok awesome man thank you, if looking to do a turbo set up on her at some stage what other bits would u say is good to pair with it

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Ahh ok awesome man thank you, if looking to do a turbo set up on her at some stage what other bits would u say is good to pair with it
LOL

Possibly built bottom end, built transmission, possibly upgraded diff

Again, it depends on how much power your making and the power rating of your drivetrain like gearbox, diff, tailshaft yadda yadda yadda

I see alot of people building engines but not even thinking about everything behind it

For me, my limiting factor was my 4l60e, so I had my transmission built by Craigs Automatics with all the bells and whistles, it was rated and guaranteed to 600 hp at the motor, so the max power at the engine was about 500 hp

The car has been making around that for the last year or so, and even after some big launches on drag radials the transmission is good to go, it does have a big trans cooler to keep the temps in check though

You also need to look at what RPM you want to spin the engine to, oil temps, coolant temps, IAT

Also the tuning solution you are going to use, and whatever your engine builder says you require for your power goal, and what your tuner wants to keep it safe

Then most likely brakes, and as you will need to get the car engineered, thus everything else the engineer tells you to change of fix if you want the car legal

Engaging an engineer before you even start will save head aches, and cash, later on

Doing a detailed plan and budget with your engineer, engine builder and tuner well before you buy anything is highly recommended

Wagz06

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE sv6
Would
LOL

Possibly built bottom end, built transmission, possibly upgraded diff

Again, it depends on how much power your making and the power rating of your drivetrain like gearbox, diff, tailshaft yadda yadda yadda

I see alot of people building engines but not even thinking about everything behind it

For me, my limiting factor was my 4l60e, so I had my transmission built by Craigs Automatics with all the bells and whistles, it was rated and guaranteed to 600 hp at the motor, so the max power at the engine was about 500 hp

The car has been making around that for the last year or so, and even after some big launches on drag radials the transmission is good to go, it does have a big trans cooler to keep the temps in check though

You also need to look at what RPM you want to spin the engine to, oil temps, coolant temps, IAT

Also the tuning solution you are going to use, and whatever your engine builder says you require for your power goal, and what your tuner wants to keep it safe

Then most likely brakes, and as you will need to get the car engineered, thus everything else the engineer tells you to change of fix if you want the car legal

Engaging an engineer before you even start will save head aches, and cash, later on

Doing a detailed plan and budget with your engineer, engine builder and tuner well before you buy anything is highly recommended
would the alloytech even be a worth motor to build on or search for an engine swap? In your opinion

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Nope

Just keep it serviced

Save your coin and upgrade the car in a few years

Reactions: Lex

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
So just keep the alloytech and upgrade it as time goes on
I wouldn't waste money on modifying the alloytech

Me, I would just keep it serviced and then work out if you still want that car when you get your full licence, or flip it and get something else

You can save alot of money when your on your L plates and P plates to put towards a better car in about 3 years

In the end it's your coin though

Opinions may vary