Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5L40E To 5L50E, 6L50 Transmission Conversion

Joshua Pevitt

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 VZ SV6 Commodore 5 Speed AUTO 3.6L
anybody got any info on putting on the 5L50E I've done some research on it and found that it's way stronger and can handle up to 311 ft·lbf which is (422 N·m) of torque which the 5L40E can only withstand 250 ft·lbf (340 N·m) of torque which the VZ SV6 and the VZ Calais have the High Output Alloytec190 and those engines can only handle 340 N•m of torque no wonder they are prone to failure

Now so far I haven't gotten any hope for the 6L50 Transmission as of yet any info or anyone who can put these in as I don't know who could hoping to keep my car for the future and don't want to have my 5L40E blowing up randomly one day so I am wanting to put in the 6 Speed or the 5L50E

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Guess the obvious first question is where are you going to get this transmission from?

You'd be better off putting the Aisin in. Is this your first car BTW?

Joshua Pevitt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Guess the obvious first question is where are you going to get this transmission from?

You'd be better off putting the Aisin in. Is this your first car BTW?
well the getting the transmission part shouldn't be hard but depending on which one that is the 6l50 or the 5L50E
second what is a Aisin?
nah this is my second I had a hand me down VS Executive but I didn't do any modifications on it at all

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
well the getting the transmission part shouldn't be hard

Pretty sure the only car that has the 5L40e stock in Aus might be a BMW X5, and they don't use GM engines. Have you found any for sale?

Aisin is the manual. Boxes are cheap and you can bolt it in. Just gotta get the manual ECU linked or find somebody that can turn the Auto flags off.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
5L45E in 3 series BMW AWD which are matched to the same transfer case used on the Cross 6 & 8.

Joshua Pevitt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pretty sure the only car that has the 5L40e stock in Aus might be a BMW X5, and they don't use GM engines. Have you found any for sale?

Aisin is the manual. Boxes are cheap and you can bolt it in. Just gotta get the manual ECU linked or find somebody that can turn the Auto flags off.
What about the AWR6B45 its a auto 6 speed I don't really want a Manual

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
You're gonna have a pretty difficult time given that all of those gearboxes are attached to engines that aren't Alloytec based. As for the AWR6B45, again, from a Toyota. Even if it did work, for that cost of a second hand transmission from a Fortuner you could probably buy another 2 or 3 complete 5 speed VZ Commos anyway.

Basically, if it's not in a Commodore already, you're gonna have a bad time. These gearboxes are less common second hand than the VZ 5 speeds.

Last edited:

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Think about it too. If you were going to go to all this time/effort/cash adapting another auto from another engine to fit, piss off the V6 boxes and go straight to a 6L80e. At least they're easier to get here. Either that or rebuild the 5L40e to something tougher if you're that enamoured by this VZ. Like I said in your other thread I'd cut your losses and start with a proven base, alotta work for an outcome that still results in a stock drivetrain for a stock engine. Just drive and maintain the VZ until it breaks (it might not even break).

Last edited:

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
The only real viable options I see are that you rebuild the 5 speed (even though it's not broken) or try make the 6L50e work with some kind of transmission controller from the States. Will probably need a new tailshaft and some kind of ECU work depending on how much the gearbox interacts with the ECU afterward.