Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5L running like a bag of willies

Nick Scali

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Caprice
Good evening all,

Got this horrid metallic noise happening from the ol' 5L and it feels like its running on 6-7 cylinders.

Drove fine, parked it overnight, couple days later, fired it up and it was doing this.

Its a metallic banging noise, and a popping noise, sounds like its coming from passenger side bank at the top of the engine, kinda sounds like lifters without oil is the main noise you can hear, then there's that popping noise.

Car has plenty of oil on the dip stick, there's no light on the dash for oil pressure either.

Video for your pleasure,

Has this just shagged a lifter or stripped a lobe off the cam,

I'm thinking about popping off the rocker cover and seeing if anything is loose, but I suspect there may be something more sinister going on here.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
My first port of call would be to pull the rocker covers and see if anything is out of place with the rockers and pushrods.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
and see if they are ALL moving,

It does sound like a plug missing, possibly a lead maybe ? :confused:

Nick Scali

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Caprice
Thanks gents,

I'll pop off the covers and report back in this thread, have a bit of a look, can I run it with the cover off for a bit to see if everything is moving properly?

I've had a bit of fun with those ACDelco D585 ignition coils - I've killed three of them in about 15,000km over the past couple years, they **** the bed one by one, absolute junk, apparently they're way worse than the original Delphi ones the factory used.

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
Good evening all,

Got this horrid metallic noise happening from the ol' 5L and it feels like its running on 6-7 cylinders.

Drove fine, parked it overnight, couple days later, fired it up and it was doing this.

Its a metallic banging noise, and a popping noise, sounds like its coming from passenger side bank at the top of the engine, kinda sounds like lifters without oil is the main noise you can hear, then there's that popping noise.

Car has plenty of oil on the dip stick, there's no light on the dash for oil pressure either.

Video for your pleasure,

Has this just shagged a lifter or stripped a lobe off the cam,

I'm thinking about popping off the rocker cover and seeing if anything is loose, but I suspect there may be something more sinister going on here.

The other thing,
get it scanned to see if its recorded a miss.

What area in Melb are you ?

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thinking about it further, being a 5L
It may even be a -
Broken Rocker,
Bent Pushrod,
Bent valve.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
I've had a bit of fun with those ACDelco D585 ignition coils - I've killed three of them in about 15,000km over the past couple years, they **** the bed one by one, absolute junk, apparently they're way worse than the original Delphi ones the factory used.

The factory used Bosch MEC718 coils which is what you should be using. Plenty available on eBay for a reasonable price.