Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

308 with 304 heads..

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
If you haven't had a timing light to it, it could be just about anywhere.

You'll need that to go any further, you'll never find it without it.

Base timing should be around 6 to 8 degrees on a 308 from memory.

Don't try revving it until you know your timing is right, if it's too far advanced or retarded you'll just hurt things. If you've just slapped the distributor in and hoped for the best it's not going to be even close.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The quick dizzy slap I do is, have no 1 plug out and wind it over until you reach compression stroke.

From there I wind the motor back until the harmonic balancer timing mark lines up with the timing case mark at around the 6 degree mark using the harmonic balancer puller bolts and a big screw driver

From that I drop the dizzy in and turn it until the rotor lines up with no 1 on the cap.....Tighten it there

Should be very very close at that, providing you have a good harmonic balancer and it hasn't done what the old ones do...The outer spins on the inner because the rubber inbetween is cactus

Cash22

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hj prem
The quick dizzy slap I do is, have no 1 plug out and wind it over until you reach compression stroke.

From there I wind the motor back until the harmonic balancer timing mark lines up with the timing case mark at around the 6 degree mark using the harmonic balancer puller bolts and a big screw driver

From that I drop the dizzy in and turn it until the rotor lines up with no 1 on the cap.....Tighten it there

Should be very very close at that, providing you have a good harmonic balancer and it hasn't done what the old ones do...The outer spins on the inner because the rubber inbetween is cactus
Ok so we have done all this several times...im thinking its got to be the harmonic balance spun

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Ok so we have done all this several times...im thinking its got to be the harmonic balance spun

Old harmonic balancer?

When you get no 1 compression stroke, check the harmonic balancer mark against the timing case.....If it doesn't line up, you have found the culprit

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
6 degrees before TDC as a start

Although technically correct for a stock motor, I'd go 10°BTDC like the later 304's. Depending on the cam it may even like more.

Hole Denn

Reaction score
Members Ride
HoleDens
Yep 10° for efi 304 cam/head package is the way to go

Cash22

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hj prem
Old harmonic balancer?

When you get no 1 compression stroke, check the harmonic balancer mark against the timing case.....If it doesn't line up, you have found the culprit
It does line up
Old harmonic balancer?

She lines up