Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Xbox One VS PS4

Which console do you favor???

• Total voters

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
But was what they were introducing that much different to Steam?

The details were very similar. Like I said, the presentation of it sucked.

Not really in measured features, it was just too heavy handed in approach. Steams offline mode has no limit (that I've ever found) and Steam trading is a brilliant idea and was implemented really well. Microsoft just have this habit of going off on their own tangent, whereas in my professional career I've found looking at what others have done for inspiration and not reinventing the wheel being integral to success. Not to be confused with plagiarism.

Yeah, that presentation was gawd awful, totally agree. Like a bloke with a massive penis that can't get laid; great product, poor salesman.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Constant reinforcement that I could watch TV on my TV, it's all about me, I mean you, I mean, I don't know what I mean, but it's all in one, for a new generation, what is this fluffing Facebook? Can I still play video games on it? Pure marketing wizardry.

Or if not old Pete, dusting off Walt Disney or the Duke could have also left Mattrick for dead (pardon the pun).

Pickled

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
Whether people like it or not. What Microsoft tried to do, will happen.

Online storage of games. No discs. Virtual Marketplace. DRM and a very minor used game market are all things of the future for consoles. Sooner console users realise their perfect world isnt so perfect, the better.

The reason it didnt work out so well for Microsoft is because itt was presented horrifically - the information wasnt out in the open all in one hit. We got minor details here and there and then E3 hit and by that time the rumor mill had already ####ed it all up. There were countless misleading incorrect and blatantly wrong game website blogs posters etc about it - not because its a bad idea.

Im not saying some games are better on the couch with a controller because I totally agree, but where did you see Microsoft removing controllers?

Why didn't PS4 try to go down that route then? Because they're smarter then that, if you try to pressure people into a world they don't like, you'll soon run out of business.

Introducing DRM will only make the whole pirating scene worse, people would rather torrent games then buy them and not have the option to sell or even give them to friends.

I'm sorry but I disagree with you, there was no miss-communication, only a major mess up by Microsoft, if they weren't ready for E3 then they shouldn't have presented.

But was what they were introducing that much different to Steam?

The details were very similar. Like I said, the presentation of it sucked.

The reason why it was so hard was the massive resistance to change. Remember the out roar when Steam was first introduced? It was the devil. Hell even I hated it for a long time.

The only reason Steam is so successful is because they have seasonal sales which let's people buy games for rediculously cheap prices, nobody wants to buy a game for $100 then have to hold onto it because there's a fee to sell it - which is where Microsoft dropped the ball.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Sony have left it up to publishers to decide if they will go down the second hand games route. Why didnt they go full hog with the DRM? Who knows. Could be a any number of reasons. Last gast gen Sony had a HUGE loss. Their console was not selling at launch cause of the huge cost. They were selling their consoles at a loss. Personally, I think they went with the tried and tested design of a console and it looks great. I honestly wish Microsoft did away with all the tv nonsense and concentrated more on the games part of it while really selling the online capabilities.

I think they were ready for E3. The problem was, in interviews prior to E3, people had already heard rumors and there were small interviews from microsoft where tidbits had been revealed. From there people made up their mind. Before even E3 hit, there were posters out there with blatant lies on them.

From there it was a downhill battle and their uncharismatic address didnt help.

Also, your analysis of why Steam is successful is sooo far wrong and extremely simple minded. No discs. Licenses stored online. Complete library of games online. Onlne matchmaking done extremely easily. Cheaper games than retail during regular prices.

Last edited:

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
It's actually kind of funny given Sony have been responsible for some of the biggest DRM aberrations in recent computing history, lest we forget, was probably a good learning curve for them.

And for all the carry on about second hand games, this has been a hit-and-miss affair for years regardless of platform. I can't on-sell my copy of BF2, 2142, BFBC2 and a tonne of others linked to an online experience. The carry on makes it seem like they were the first to run over little Timmy's kitten.

Pickled

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
Also, your analysis of why Steam is successful is sooo far wrong and extremely simple minded. No discs. Licenses stored online. Complete library of games online. Onlne matchmaking done extremely easily. Cheaper games than retail during regular prices.

Well yes, I shouldn't have said that's the only reason why Steam is successful but at least they give the consumers what they want, Microsoft could have done the same but unfortunately failed miserably.

I'm not a Sony fanboy by a long shot, just looking at what has been presented and they simply did way better in terms of giving the consumer what they want, a cheap gaming console with no restrictions.

Last edited:

Demonica

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS clubsport
Gotta love the huuuuge 180 microsoft has done with the xbone.

Microsoft has chaged its tune on preventing users of the forthcoming Xbox One game console from playing games offline without establishing an internet connection, and be able to lend or sell used disc-based games.

The announcement reverses the company's earlier position when it unveiled the console , causing consternation among hardcore gamers.

The company said it had reversed its earlier stance on used games and daily online authentication after listening to "candid feedback" from its fans, Don Mattrick, president of the Interactive Entertainment Business at Microsoft, said in a blog post on overnight.

Last week at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in Los Angeles, Microsoft announced a $499 price tag for its first new Xbox in eight years and said it would go on sale in the United States in November in 21 countries.

Its rival, Sony Corp, said it would sell the next-generation PlayStation model for $US399 late in the year. At an E3 presentation to announce features of the PlayStation 4, Sony drew cheers from the audience when it said the PS4 would run second-hand games and did not require an always-on Internet connection.

Before changing its policy, Microsoft had elicited groans from gamers when it announced that used games could be played on the Xbox One for a fee to be determined by game publishers and said players had to log onto the Internet for authentication.

"You told us how much you loved the flexibility you have today with games delivered on disc. The ability to lend, share, and resell these games at your discretion is of incredible importance to you," Mattrick said in his blog post. "Also important to you is the freedom to play offline, for any length of time, anywhere in the world."

Guess people power does work. Still wouldn't touch one with a 10 foot pole though :p

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
LOL, I think Microsoft needs some burn cream.

Last edited by a moderator:

frogsta

Perth WA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST E30
Call of duty call of duty call of duty television television TV sports sports call of duty dog

That's all I got from the Xbone reveal thingo