Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Windows 10

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
just installed it yesterday and im about over it going back to win7 i reckon, too much pointless crap in it and simple tasks are not simple any more, only good thing i noticed is it is a little faster with browsing but thats about it...

Just some food for thought... There's a lot of "pointless crap" in pretty much EVERY version of Windows going back to the beginning of time. And also, simple tasks are only simple because you're used to it that way. Sure, some things have changed and I had a whinge about the changes from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1 but after a while, I wouldn't even think of going back. It's surprising the amount of noise around not having a start menu created. It was more about conditioning than an actual problem. Not having the start menu is actually easier. From the home screen, simply start typing whatever you want to run/open and there it is!

But ultimately it is a personal preference.

Low_VX_Taxi

Blanned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blundstone boots
Its weird not having the "hot corners", I keep going to the bottom left and waiting for the menu to appear to no avail.....

Aside from that there is only little changes for me between 8.1-10, some compatibility issues with Nvidia drivers initially but all sorted within a few days.

I wanted to try out Cortana but not available in our region yet....

The search function is a bit easier access now, seems a bit more polished too.

Haven't played around with the virtual desktops (or what ever fancy title Microsoft has given them).

I didn't really miss the start menu after a while in windows 8, kinda was a comfort thing (was always there), it seems a little bit of a waste of time now considering simply typing what you need into the search function works faster....

And I am still not sold on the tiles in the start menu as I am not using a touch screen/tablet, still makes it less daunting switching between all your devices I guess.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Loving win10, quicker boot, start menu with live tiles is a good mix between 8 and 7.

Essentially the free upgrade game plan is getting everyone onto the latest platform, gaining control over updates and patches, and its the quickest way to drop legacy systems. Its a smart move. Waiting for cortana to arrive to aus.

Copy and paste from keyboard shortcuts within cmd is about bloody time, so much quicker

Virtual desktops is pretty cool, but the only glitch with it is u can only have the 1 app open over the desktop. Eg, edge can only be opened in one desktop, if its opened in the other desktop, it'll switch over to the already open session.

Most of my pcs have been upgraded, wife's will wait til later. If you want to upgrade now, download the media creation tool,run it and u can upgrade the pc its run from or download the iso to run from a usb stick.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
I'm yet to upgrade to Windows 10 but I will be. Search on 8.1 is as simple as starting to type on the Start screen. How can it get easier than that?

Cortana will open up a lot of your privacy settings to work. Be careful!

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Installed it 3 times, each hit and miss on each install.
BTW, gone back to my Win7 install

I modify things alot, and made a modification on a system file and wouldnt boot.
My bad of course. But still, wasnt even able to get into safe mode.
The repair feature though was ok, far better then any other versions

As for the 3 installs, 2 were basically clean (even though i asked for a upgrade) and the one which had all my Win7 stuff was the one i killed off.

So with the installs, bit of hit and miss when keeping programs with the upgrade and rebooting issue was my own.

However

My impression on Windows 10
1. Still incomplete - Some menus in Touch design and others in Win7 design. No continuity and half assed attempt
2.Microsoft Edge - I dont care if the world praises it, its still designed for kids aged between 6-9yrs of age. Where the advanced menus.
3. Windows update died - Unlike the Windows Update of before, new version is ****. Stopped at 66%. No reason, no explanation, no errors. Just stopped. Unable to fix. (found a fix, unregister certain dll files)
4. Default desktop icons - Hard to find and implement. MS do not make it easy.
5. Windows Media Player. While installed, no icon on start menu of anywhere. Had to find it myself and create shortcut.
6. Start menu an improvement, but here comes whats needed

Surface.tablets and phone should have their own OS i agree.
Desktop platforms need a ####ing start menu and one that can easily find things and so with that in mind, create a platform designed for desktops and laptops separately

MS couldve made it great but its half assed. Like a game that came out too early.
Its slick yes, but get further in it and will see many things that are disappointing with it.

7. Some reason, got warnings saying I cannot change some settings as being managed by my organisation. - What ####ing organisation. lololololololol

Back on windows 7 using my backup (25mins to load via Ghost DOS) and back to normal.

If you use it, use Classic Shell start menu enhancement.(use it on all machines)

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
waiting on notification of upgrade , we'll see how it goes

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I changed my settings so I have Cortana. I like it, is awesome on a Windows phone, and nice on a PC.

I've deleted all the factory start menu tiles. Will change them to programs that I actually use a lot. I can see that being beneficial.

Its only on my tablet for now, will play around for a few weeks before I change my PC.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
The one and only thing at this moment in time that could make me push up from 7 would be some amazing Direct X 12 game.

My media PC will never get it due to the loss of media center.

All they've really done (and you can argue this if you like) is backtrack on just how in your face the changes in Windows 8 are.

As one reviewer said 2 steps forward, 2 back means they are standing in place.

I read this article that shows 14 reasons why they are excited about Windows 10, is it just me or are there a grand total of zero reasons in this article???

14 reasons we're excited for Windows 10, seriously | App Data Room

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
Just some food for thought... There's a lot of "pointless crap" in pretty much EVERY version of Windows going back to the beginning of time. And also, simple tasks are only simple because you're used to it that way. Sure, some things have changed and I had a whinge about the changes from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1 but after a while, I wouldn't even think of going back. It's surprising the amount of noise around not having a start menu created. It was more about conditioning than an actual problem. Not having the start menu is actually easier. From the home screen, simply start typing whatever you want to run/open and there it is!

But ultimately it is a personal preference.

I had a whinge on every new windows upgrade... bring back NT.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Desktop platforms need a ####ing start menu and one that can easily find things

Why is a start menu NEEDED? Why can't you find things easily without one?