Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Which wires to take out for EST to HEI conversion???

kodie4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK commodore
Hi peoples i am about to do a EST to HEI conversion on my son,s VK commodore, and would like to rip out the EST completely!Can someone direct me to the step by step link for this procedure or explain what i need to remove,as i want to completely remove it as it should have been done so by holdel, better still they should'nt have made it in the first place as it's a peice of crap!lol
At a guess i follow all the wires to where they go and just rip it out??? Your help is much appreciated.:rofl2:

hiy_po

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Executive
Just take the Black wire off the negative side of the coil and the EST is disconnected. Remove the est dizzy drop in the HEI one wire it up to the coil and your away.
Only thing I dont really remember is if there is an ignition power source, but if not just add it to +ve side of coil

kodie4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK commodore
Thanks for the help and i understand how to get the dizzy working,but i want to remove the whole EST unit as well and throw it in the bin lol any help on that would be great. Cheers

hiy_po

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Executive
once the coil is no longer being fired by the EST you can unplug it and throw it in the bin

codfishface

Reaction score
Members Ride
85 VK SL - 79 VB 253
EST has these inputs-

Throttle position switch - on carb - little micro switch.
Vacuum pressure - vac hose going to a Bosch unit near fuse box - converts the vac signal to electrical current.
Crank angle/position sensor - on rear of motor - unplug the connection and tie up out of the way.
Separate Temp sensor - located in thermostat housing-that thing you get snagged on all the time- blue plug, I think.

Been over 18 months since I removed mine, some info is a bit hazy.

ECU is located in PS kick panel - disconnect battery, unplug loom, bin it.

I hid all my leftover engine bay loom behind the fuse box.

muzz1234

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk 1985
EST has these inputs-

Throttle position switch - on carb - little micro switch.
Vacuum pressure - vac hose going to a Bosch unit near fuse box - converts the vac signal to electrical current.
Crank angle/position sensor - on rear of motor - unplug the connection and tie up out of the way.
Separate Temp sensor - located in thermostat housing-that thing you get snagged on all the time- blue plug, I think.

Been over 18 months since I removed mine, some info is a bit hazy.

ECU is located in PS kick panel - disconnect battery, unplug loom, bin it.

I hid all my leftover engine bay loom behind the fuse box.
Hi mate I know its been a long time on this post I need a hand what sort of blue hei distributor is this 1 with vacuum on the side cheers

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Hi mate I know its been a long time on this post I need a hand what sort of blue hei distributor is this 1 with vacuum on the side cheers

I suspect the one you're referring to is the factory Holden Distributer, however a picture would be nice to confirm this suspicion

muzz1234

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk 1985
Yeh buddy its the standard EST WITH THE MODULE on the passenger side floor I want to get rid of it and run the BLUE HEI DIZZY sorry mate can't upload pictures for some reason

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
All you need to do is, disconnect the module at the back of the block in the centre, remove the old dizzy, plug the new blue motor dizzy in, with the green being neg and the red being positive on the coil and away you go...

Blue motor dizzy

1705994363480.png

Black dizzy doesn't have the box hanging off the side