Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

which scan tool?

Krankieone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE international
My current scan tool doesn't work with our VS, VY or VZ it does work with the VE and jeep and i am looking at up grading to one that will read more than just engine codes .

What is out there that is capable but not ridiculously expensive

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
There is a number of unit & models on the market,
Depends on how much you would like to spend,
Maybe do a bit of research on eBay first, as that is always good for information and specs.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
I recently purchased a Vident and it is reasonable priced. At the lower end of the range you can purchase the Holden data then for $100 you can get additional makes (up to five). I have successfully linked a VZ BCM to a VY PIM/PCM with no problems. It can also program keys, although I have not tested that function yet.

The base model is $290 and covers everything you want Holden wise. You can find the detail at AZ Scanners.

Cheers n Beers
Jolls

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
I recently purchased a Vident and it is reasonable priced. At the lower end of the range you can purchase the Holden data then for $100 you can get additional makes (up to five). I have successfully linked a VZ BCM to a VY PIM/PCM with no problems. It can also program keys, although I have not tested that function yet.

The base model is $290 and covers everything you want Holden wise. You can find the detail at AZ Scanners.

Cheers n Beers
Jolls
I have this scanner. Its Vident i400au works on Holden VF VR VS VX VT VE WM VY VZ VF.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I have this scanner. Its Vident i400au works on Holden VF VR VS VX VT VE WM VY VZ VF.

I would have a great deal of faith in that. You’ve done some cool stuff to your cars!

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
I put the new diff in the VY today so had to reset the speedo. I am used to using the Tech 2 to do this but decided to use the Vident. It wasn't difficult but did require me to estimate the PPK and then adjust by checking the speedo readings against a GPS.

The Tech 2 would have been a better tool for the job as it calibrates on the run using live data. The only problem with the Tech 2 clone is that it doesn't work with TIS authorisation or the cracked TIS Global when it comes to security and programming.

I'm in the envious position now of having both and have been able to write it off against my business.

If I only had one choice the Vident would get my vote.

I know that there are others out there using different scanners. I'm looking forward to hearing about their experiences.

Cheers n Beers
Jolls

Martbar

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF Series 2 SSV Redline.
I put the new diff in the VY today so had to reset the speedo. I am used to using the Tech 2 to do this but decided to use the Vident. It wasn't difficult but did require me to estimate the PPK and then adjust by checking the speedo readings against a GPS.

The Tech 2 would have been a better tool for the job as it calibrates on the run using live data. The only problem with the Tech 2 clone is that it doesn't work with TIS authorisation or the cracked TIS Global when it comes to security and programming.

I'm in the envious position now of having both and have been able to write it off against my business.

If I only had one choice the Vident would get my vote.

I know that there are others out there using different scanners. I'm looking forward to hearing about their experiences.

Cheers n Beers
Jolls
Mate l had a look at key programming with the i400.
The only reference I could find in
the user manual was P18, 3.9 immobilizer and they called it
"anti theft key matching"
When the ignition switch key, ignition switch, combined instrument panel, ecu, bcm or remote control battery is replaced,
anti-theft key matching must be performed. When I got into the menu l was asked to provide a 4 digit code. This was provided by the local former Holden Dealers, at no cost.

As the duplicate key wasn't up to spec that's as far as I got.
I think that they could have gone into a lot more detail in the user manual and the menu itself to walk you through it. To people like yourself who are clued up on this stuff, it would probably be a walk in the park, but l found it to be quite difficult.
Have a look specifically at that immobilizer menu, interested to hear your opinion.
Cheers mate.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Maybe borrow from the Snapon guide for linking a key? Not the same granted, but the pdf guide might help fill in any blanks??

Martbar

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF Series 2 SSV Redline.